Can You Identify These Aircraft from Limited Clues?
- Thread starter Gokul43201
- Start date
-
- Tags
- Game
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
340 replies · 26K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 7,213
- 26
Last edited by a moderator:
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 7,213
- 26
Wow! That was the first time I saw it - never even saw a picture of it before.Bystander said:Little Boy
Bystander - 3 more.
Cyrus
- 3,246
- 17
sikorski s-55
Edit: Ugly, like fred.
Edit: Ugly, like fred.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 7,213
- 26
Very close. It's actually the UH-19, but S-55 is good enough for 3 points.cyrusabdollahi said:sikorski s-55
Time to make it a little tough again...
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 7,213
- 26
Q 19 Clue I: Identify this early participant in the Race.
http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/2318/img2138wp8.jpg
http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/2318/img2138wp8.jpg
Last edited by a moderator:
Cyrus
- 3,246
- 17
Your clue leaves me clueless. Please elaborate on what you mean by "the race" there were many races in avaiations history.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 7,213
- 26
Last edited by a moderator:
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 7,213
- 26
Many races in aviation history; two big Races in modern World history.cyrusabdollahi said:Your clue leaves me clueless. Please elaborate on what you mean by "the race" there were many races in avaiations history.
Cyrus
- 3,246
- 17
F-86 sabre
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 7,213
- 26
Correct, for 3 points.cyrusabdollahi said:F-86 sabre
Danger
Gold Member
- 9,805
- 251
Re: Q18... I've never seen anything like that, so I've got to go for a (semi)educated guess. Since it's gold-plated, it's obviously intended for space applications; that opinion is also based upon the 'space race' that was going on when I was a mere child. My guess, although it doesn't look like one, is that it's the rear view of an early prototype space helmet.
Science Advisor
- 5,097
- 11
Amatueur. It's a Chickasaw. Geeze. The differences are glaring.cyrusabdollahi said:sikorski s-55
Edit: Ugly, like fred.
Last edited:
Science Advisor
- 5,097
- 11
Q18: Not a friggin' clue.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 7,213
- 26
That's good for 2 points. The thing in the object is a Discoverer satellite, one of the early successes of the Corona Project. Also, being Discoverer XIV, it is the first satellite to be ejected by an orbiting spave vehicle and recovered in mid-air. Upon re-entry, it deployed a parachute which was successfully snagged by a C-119.Bystander said:Q18: save the second clue --- I'll take my 2 pts. for "Corona film cannister," or "Corona film recovery cannister."
http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/294/img2141oi8.jpg
I thought the obscurity of this one would be at least somewhat alleviated by its being in the news last year, when the Corona Engineers were awarded the NAE's Draper Prize.
Last edited by a moderator:
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 7,213
- 26
Q 21 Clue I: Identify
http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/6194/img2301wg7.jpg
(thought I'd posted this a few minutes ago, but either it's disappeared or I'm imagining things)
http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/6194/img2301wg7.jpg
(thought I'd posted this a few minutes ago, but either it's disappeared or I'm imagining things)
Last edited by a moderator:
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 7,213
- 26
(update, till Q20)
Note: There were question numbers that were messed up. They've now been fixed. I believe these scores are correct.
Code:
[u]SCORES[/u] :
Bystander 16
Cyrus 27
Fred 10
Kurdt 3
Note: There were question numbers that were messed up. They've now been fixed. I believe these scores are correct.
Last edited:
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 7,213
- 26
Correct, Northrop's SM-62 Snark. 3 pointsBystander said:Snark missile
Q 22 Clue I : Identify
http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/2248/img2313nf5.jpg
Last edited by a moderator:
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 7,213
- 26
Q 23 Clue I : Identify
http://img385.imageshack.us/img385/6509/img2336apv1.jpg
(tried to compensate for low difficulty with poor picture)
http://img385.imageshack.us/img385/6509/img2336apv1.jpg
(tried to compensate for low difficulty with poor picture)
Last edited by a moderator:
Science Advisor
- 5,097
- 11
That's a Pratt & Whitney afterburner. Since it's next to the Raptor I'll also say that it's the vectored thrust assembly.Gokul43201 said:Correct, Northrop's SM-62 Snark. 3 points
Q 20 Clue I : Identify
http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/2248/img2313nf5.jpg
Last edited by a moderator:
Science Advisor
- 5,097
- 11
B-52 StratofortressGokul43201 said:Q 21 Clue I : Identify
http://img385.imageshack.us/img385/6509/img2336apv1.jpg
(tried to compensate for low difficulty with poor picture)
Last edited by a moderator:
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 7,213
- 26
Silly me - should have clipped the picture more.FredGarvin said:That's a Pratt & Whitney afterburner. Since it's next to the Raptor I'll also say that it's the vectored thrust assembly.
That pic is the back view of the entire F119. Here's another view:
http://img429.imageshack.us/img429/571/img2314lu7.jpg
And the hazy mammoth is the Stratofortress - 6 points.
Last edited by a moderator:
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 7,213
- 26
Last edited by a moderator:
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 7,213
- 26
Last edited by a moderator:
Science Advisor
- 5,097
- 11
F-111 AardvarkGokul43201 said:
Last edited by a moderator:
Science Advisor
- 5,097
- 11
It's the rocket engine from the Bell X-1. I can't remember the name of it though.Gokul43201 said:
Last edited by a moderator:
Similar threads
- lucas_
- · Replies 11 ·
- Atomic and Condensed Matter
- Replies
- 11
Undergrad
Can you identify these equations?
- Luxor123
- · Replies 3 ·
- Other Physics Topics
- Replies
- 3
High School
Can you identify this line graph?
- LightFantastic
- · Replies 1 ·
- General Math
- Replies
- 1
- micromass
- · Replies 20 ·
- Other Physics Topics
- Replies
- 20
- FeDeX_LaTeX
- · Replies 2 ·
- General Math
- Replies
- 2
- Stalkerfishy
- · Replies 1 ·
- Biology and Chemistry Homework Help
- Replies
- 1
- zoich
- · Replies 4 ·
- General Math
- Replies
- 4
- pmb
- · Replies 15 ·
- Art, History, and Linguistics
- Replies
- 15
- wubie
- · Replies 6 ·
- General Math
- Replies
- 6
- StephenPrivitera
- · Replies 3 ·
- General Math
- Replies
- 3