Can You Identify These Aircraft from Limited Clues?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Gokul43201
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Game
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
340 replies · 26K views
Physics news on Phys.org
cyrusabdollahi said:
That is the jet engine(s) of a B-52 bomber, right wing inner pylon.
Mr. Cyrus, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
 
Last edited:
Okay, where are we ?

Q5. That's a Spitfire Mk Vc - perhaps the most numerously made Spitfire. Some of these were piloted by the Aussies (pretty poorly, I might add), in the Pacific Theater. It is very close to the Mk II and Mk III in airframe design.

Bystander had the right mark, but 3 points go to Cyrus.

Q6. from left to right, we have: Jupiter (IRBM), Thor (IRBM), Titan II (ICBM), Titan I (ICBM) and Thor Agena A (orbital launch vehicle) - I was looking for two or more correct identifications (or equivalent description).

3 points to Bystander

Q7. This is the AC-130 Spectre, as correctly identified by Fred. It's basically, a Hercules modified into a gunship. The bird in the picture is named Azrael - Angel of Death (I had to paint over the name) and saw combat in Desert Storm

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/1680/img2232vn5.jpg

3 points to Cyrus

Q8. Yep, that's the B-45, alright - the first 4-engine jet bomber. I don't think any of them saw combat, though the RB-45 version performed recon flights over Korea.

Here's the big picture:

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/8256/img2344pt5.jpg

3 points to Bystander
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Question 10, Clue #1. I'll take a shot at this one. It looks like the T9E1 75mm autoloader from the B-25G Mitchell.
 
Good call Danger. You got it.
http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/arm/arm20.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks; it's about time I made myself useful.
 
Yes, nice job Danger.

Fred said:
The bottom one looks like a cannon assembly from an AC-130...which one I don't know...yet

<Shakes head in disapproval>
 
Q11 Wouldn't happen to be the boeing bird of prey would it?
 
Wow, bravo on that one! I have never even seen that aircraft.
 
I couldn't tell you any of the modern fighters and bombers etc but World war two craft and X-series type craft are about all I'm good at.
 
Gokul43201 said:
Danger, you got the 75mm autoloading cannon right, but sadly, no points with that.
I realize that. The question was to get one of them right, and Fred beat me to it. No prob. :biggrin:
 
Not to get too far off topic --- just watched the entire Provider belly-landing scene from "Air America" in "Project Viper" on Sci-Fi --- the "recycling" craze has gone too far.
 
Bystander said:
Not to get too far off topic --- just watched the entire Provider belly-landing scene from "Air America" in "Project Viper" on Sci-Fi --- the "recycling" craze has gone too far.
Got no idea what "Project Viper" is but then, I don't have cable.

This one beats the C-123! :biggrin:

Q 13 Clue I : What's this the inside of?

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/4938/img2328tk4.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Q 12 Clue II: No World Heavyweight Champion, this mostly Alaskan resident.
 
Bystander said:
Q12: C124
I'll take it, you meant Q13.

Yup, it's the C-124 Globemaster II

Bystander - 3 points

Q 12 Clue III : Former mascot at Elmendorf AFB.