Can You Outpredict Paul the Octopus in the 2014 PF World Cup League?

  • Thread starter Thread starter micromass
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    world cup
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
303 replies · 49K views
micromass said:
Important notice!
We have had a lot of predictions made after the deadline. I have ignored the situation until now, but it's a bit unfair towards the people who make their predictions tomorrow. Since I am posting so short before the deadline (5 hours), I will let tomorrow's matches pass too. But after that, I expect the predictions on time (i.e. before midnight GMT). Any posts after the deadline, even 1 minute, will not be accepted


Is the deadline not the time the first game kicks off? I must have missed that. (I generally don't think about the games until the morning of)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Italy - Costa Rica (20 June): 2 - 0

Switzerland - France (20 June): 1 - 2

Honduras - Ecuador (20 June): 1 - 1

Argentina - Iran (21 June): 2 - 0

Germany - Ghana (21 June): 3 - 0

Nigeria - Bosnia and Herzegovina (21 June): 0 - 2

Belgium - Russia (22 June): 1 - 0

Korea Republic - Algeria (22 June): 1 - 0

USA - Portugal (22 June): 1 - 2
 
Italy v Costa Rica: 3 - 1
Switzerland v France: 1 - 3
Honduras v Ecuador: 0 - 4
 
20th June:
Italy - Costa Rica: 2 - 1
Switzerland - France: 1 - 2
Honduras - Ecuador: 1 - 2

I will be posting my 21th June prediction later today.
 
20th June:

Italy - Costa Rica: 2 - 1
Switzerland - France: 1 - 2
Honduras - Ecuador: 0 - 2
 
Last edited:
When are the deadlines for predictions?

20th June:
Italy - Costa Rica: 2 - 0
Switzerland - France: 1 - 3
Honduras - Ecuador: 0 - 0

Overall winner: Argentina. I think Messi is bound to win a world cup one of these days...might as well be this year.
 
Matterwave said:
So I missed that last deadline? =[

No, since I said the deadlines start counting from today. So the last deadline was not important.
 
21 June:
Argentina - Iran: 3 - 0
Germany - Ghana: 3 - 0
Nigeria - Bosnia and Herzegovina: 1 - 0

22 June:
Belgium - Russia: 2 - 0
Korea Republic - Algeria: 1 - 0
USA - Portugal: 2 - 1
 
(almost like micromass, but not quite :smile:)

21 June:
Argentina - Iran: 3 - 0
Germany - Ghana: 4 - 0
Nigeria - Bosnia and Herzegovina: 1 - 2

22 June:
Belgium - Russia: 2 - 0
Korea Republic - Algeria: 1 - 2
USA - Portugal: 2 - 1
 
For June 21:

Argentina v Iran: 3-0
Germany v Ghana: 2-1
Nigeria v Bosnia and Herzegovina: 1-2
 
21 June:
Argentina - Iran: 3 - 0
Germany - Ghana: 3 - 1
Nigeria - Bosnia and Herzegovina: 1 - 1
 
Argentina v Iran: 4-0
Germany v Ghana: 2-1
Nigeria v Bosnia and Herzegovina: 2-3
 
21 June:
Argentina - Iran: 4 - 0
Germany - Ghana: 2 - 0
Nigeria - Bosnia and Herzegovina: 1 - 1

22 June:
Belgium - Russia: 1 - 2
Korea Republic - Algeria: 2 - 1
USA - Portugal: 0 - 0
 
21 June:

Argentina - Iran: 3 - 1
Germany - Ghana: 5 - 0
Nigeria - Bosnia and Herzegovina: 1 - 2
 
22 June:
Belgium - Russia: 2 - 1
Korea Republic - Algeria: 2 - 1
USA - Portugal: 2 - 1
 
June 22:

Belgium v Russia: 2 - 1
Korea Republic v Algeria: 2 - 1
USA v Portugal: 1 - 2
 
Belgium v Russia: 3 - 0
Korea Republic v Algeria: 1 - 0
USA v Portugal: 1 - 2 (sorry)
 
23th June:
Netherlands - Chile: 1 - 2
Australia - Spain: 0 - 2
Cameroon - Brazil: 1 - 3
Croatia - Mexico: 0 - 2

24th June:
Italy - Uruguay: 3 - 2
Costa Rica - England: 2 - 0
Japan - Colombia: 0 - 1
Greece - Côte D'Ivoire: 1 - 2
 
23th June:
Netherlands - Chile: 3 - 1
Australia - Spain: 0 - 1
Cameroon - Brazil: 0 - 2
Croatia - Mexico: 1 - 2

24th June:
Italy - Uruguay: 0 - 2
Costa Rica - England: 0 - 1
Japan - Colombia: 1 - 1
Greece - Côte D'Ivoire: 2 - 1
 
23th June:
Netherlands - Chile: 2 - 3
Australia - Spain: 1 - 2
Cameroon - Brazil: 1 - 3
Croatia - Mexico: 1 - 2

24th June:
Italy - Uruguay: 2 - 1
Costa Rica - England: 2 - 1
Japan - Colombia: 0 - 1
Greece - Côte D'Ivoire: 1 - 2
 
I'd like to change my winner prediction from Argentina (posted on 12 June) to Germany (posted now on 22 June).

And some match predictions:

23th June:
Netherlands - Chile: 0 - 1
Australia - Spain: 0 - 2
Cameroon - Brazil: 0 - 3
Croatia - Mexico: 1 - 2

24th June:
Italy - Uruguay: 1 - 2
Costa Rica - England: 0 - 2
Japan - Colombia: 0 - 2
Greece - Côte D'Ivoire: 0 - 2
 
23th June

Netherlands - Chile: 4 - 2
Australia - Spain: 2 - 1
Cameroon - Brazil: 0 - 3
Croatia - Mexico: 0 - 0
 
montadhar said:
Australia - Spain: 2 - 1
EDIT: It can very well happen, I have to add :biggrin:
 
Last edited:
DennisN said:
EDIT: It can very well happen, I have to add :biggrin:

I'm the one who's surprised! Now if Germany wins the world cup, I will get 8 points more than you will (4 if they reach the final), and if Germany doesn't, someone else will get a considerable advantage, and maybe win.
Edit: Perhaps, by changing to Germany, you have spelt your own doom :biggrin:

Edit2: I mean 6 not 8, sorry.
 
montadhar said:
I'm the one who's surprised! Now if Germany wins the world cup, I will get 8 points more than you will (4 if they reach the final), and if Germany doesn't, someone else will get a considerable advantage, and maybe win.
Edit: Perhaps, by changing to Germany, you have spelt your own doom :biggrin:

Edit2: I mean 6 not 8, sorry.

Yes, this contest is very fun! And very addictive! :biggrin:
 
June 23th:

Netherlands v Chile: 1 - 2
Australia v Spain: 0 - 2
Cameroon v Brazil: 0 - 3
Croatia v Mexico: 0 - 1
 
DennisN said:
Yes, this contest is very fun! And very addictive! :biggrin:

Glad you enjoy it! I'm not sure about your switch to Germany, but we'll see how it turns out. :-p