1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can you show me please trace|a><b|=<b|a>

1. Oct 8, 2007 #1
    Can you show me please trace|a><b|=<b|a> . Thank you?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2007 #2

How can we show that the eigenvalues of a projector are 1 or 0? Thank you
  4. Oct 8, 2007 #3

How can we show that the eigenvalues of a unitary operator are complex numbers of unit norm. Thank you
  5. Oct 8, 2007 #4
    You should really show an attempt at the question, but:

Tr[ |a><b| ] = sum <ci|a><b|ci>=sum<b|ci><ci|a>=<b|a>
  6. Oct 8, 2007 #5

A is anti-hermition;
    please show that <b|A|b> is a pure imaginary number for any |b> in the state space
  7. Oct 8, 2007 #6

How can we show;
    trace A= sum<ei|A|ei>=sum<fi|A|>fi
  8. Oct 8, 2007 #7

Staff: Mentor

tchem, as christianjb points out, you MUST show your own work so far, in order for us to be of help with your homework and coursework. We do not do your work for you here on the PF. Please post your work and thoughts so far for each of the multiple questions you are asking.
  9. Oct 8, 2007 #8
    actually, I solved the questions of unitary and anti-hermition, but I cannot prove that the eigenvalues of projector can be 0 or 1 . I get the point and guess it from the exact definition of projection operator however I cannot get it into writing mathematically
  10. Oct 9, 2007 #9

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What is the exact definition of a projection operator?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?