Can You Solve POTW #259 - Oct 31, 2017?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Euge
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, POTW #259 is a scientific problem or puzzle that was posted on October 31, 2017. It is open to anyone interested in solving scientific problems and is commonly used in educational settings. The theme of POTW #259 varies depending on the source, but it is likely related to a specific scientific topic. The prize for solving POTW #259 may vary, with some sources offering a prize and others providing recognition or satisfaction. The solution to POTW #259 can usually be found on the same source where the problem was posted. This may include a website, social media page, or scientific publication.
Euge
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Here is this week's POTW:

-----
Given commutative rings with unity $R$ and $S$, let $\phi : R \to S$ be a morphism of rings. It induces a morphism $\phi^* : \operatorname{Spec}(S) \to \operatorname{Spec}(R)$ of prime spectra such that $\phi^*(\mathfrak{q}) = \phi^{-1}(\mathfrak{q})$ for all $\mathfrak{q}\in \operatorname{Spec}(S)$. Show that if $X$ is a finitely generated $R$-module, the support of $S\otimes_R X$ is the inverse image of the support of $X$ under the induced map $\phi^*$.

-----

Remember to read the http://www.mathhelpboards.com/showthread.php?772-Problem-of-the-Week-%28POTW%29-Procedure-and-Guidelines to find out how to http://www.mathhelpboards.com/forms.php?do=form&fid=2!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm going to give one extra week for members to attempt a solution.

No one answered this week's problem. You can read my solution below.
If $\mathfrak{a}$ is an ideal of $R$, let $\mathfrak{a}^e$ denote the extension of $\mathfrak{a}$ in $S$. Let $x_1,\ldots, x_n$ be generators of $M$. If $\mathfrak{a}_i := \operatorname{Ann}(x_i)$, then $$S\otimes_R X \approx \sum S\otimes_R Rx_i \approx \sum S\otimes_R R/\mathfrak{a}_i \approx \sum S/\mathfrak{a}_i^e$$ Thus $$\operatorname{Supp}(S\otimes_R X) = \bigcup \operatorname{Supp}(S/\mathfrak{a}_i^e) = \bigcup V(\mathcal{a}_i^e) = \bigcup \phi^{*-1}(V(\mathfrak{a}_i)) = \phi^{*-1}(\cup V(\mathfrak{a}_i)) = \phi^{*-1}(\operatorname{Ann}(X)) = \phi^{*-1}(\operatorname{Supp}(X))$$

1. What is POTW #259?

POTW #259 stands for "Problem of the Week #259" and refers to a specific scientific problem or puzzle that was posted on October 31, 2017.

2. Who can participate in POTW #259?

POTW #259 is open to anyone who is interested in solving scientific problems and puzzles. It is commonly used in educational settings to challenge students and promote critical thinking skills.

3. What was the theme of POTW #259?

The theme of POTW #259 was not specified, as it can vary depending on the source. However, it is likely related to a specific scientific topic or concept.

4. Is there a prize for solving POTW #259?

This may vary depending on the source. Some organizations or individuals may offer a prize for solving POTW #259, while others may simply provide recognition or satisfaction for solving the problem.

5. Where can I find the solution to POTW #259?

The solution to POTW #259 can typically be found on the same source where the problem was posted. This may be on a website, social media page, or in a scientific publication.