Is This Week's POTW Unsolved? Check Out the Solution Here!

• MHB
  • Thread starter Euge
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, the POTW (Problem of the Week) is a weekly challenge presented by various scientific organizations to test critical thinking and problem-solving skills. It may or may not be solved each week, and the solution can be checked on the organization's website or social media page. Even if the POTW has been solved, you can still submit your answer, but it will not be considered for the official solution. Some organizations may offer a prize for solving the POTW, but the main purpose is to engage people in critical thinking and problem-solving.
Euge
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Here is this week's POTW:

-----
Let $\Bbb D$ be the open unit disc in the complex plane, and let $f$ be a continuous complex function on $\partial\Bbb D$. Consider the function

$$F(re^{i\phi}) \,\dot{=}\, \frac1{2\pi}\int_0^{2\pi} f(e^{i\theta})\frac{1-r^2}{1-2r\cos(\theta-\phi) + r^2}\, d\theta\quad (re^{i\phi}\in \Bbb D)$$

Prove $F$ is harmonic on $\Bbb D$, and that for all $z_0\in \partial \Bbb D$, $\lim\limits_{z\to z_0} F(z) = f(z_0)$.
-----Remember to read the http://www.mathhelpboards.com/showthread.php?772-Problem-of-the-Week-%28POTW%29-Procedure-and-Guidelines to find out how to http://www.mathhelpboards.com/forms.php?do=form&fid=2!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'll give one more week for users to attempt a solution. Keep in mind, the definition of $F$ involves the Poisson kernel. It's key to use the fact that the Poisson kernel is an approximate identity.

No one answered this week's problem. You can read my solution below.
Note that $F(z)$ is the real part of the holomorphic function $$\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{0}^{2\pi} f(e^{i\theta})\frac{e^{i\theta}-z}{e^{i\theta} + z}\, d\theta$$ whence $F$ is harmonic. Now fix $z_0 = e^{i\phi_0}\in \partial \Bbb D$. By continuity of $u$, given $\epsilon > 0$ there corresponds an $\eta > 0$ such that for all $\theta$, $\lvert \theta - \phi_0\rvert < \eta$ implies $\lvert f(e^{i\theta}) - f(e^{i\phi_0})\rvert < 0.5\epsilon$. Fix $\phi$ such that $\lvert \phi - \phi_0\rvert < 0.25\eta$, and note

$$F(re^{i\phi}) - f(re^{i\phi_0}) = \frac{1}{2\pi} \int_{-\pi}^\pi [f(re^{i\theta}) - f(re^{i\phi_0})]P_r(\phi-\theta)\, d\theta$$ where $P_r$ is the Poisson kernel. Break up the latter integral as $J_1 + J_2$, where $J_1, J_2$ are integrals over regions $\lvert \theta - \phi_0\rvert < \eta$ and $\lvert \theta - \phi_0\rvert \ge \eta$, respectively. Then $\lvert J_1 \rvert< 0.5\epsilon$ and $\lvert J_2 \rvert < 2\max_{\lvert \phi - \theta\rvert \ge 0.75\eta} P_r(\phi - \theta) \cdot \max_{-\pi \le \theta \le \pi} \lvert u(re^{i\theta})\rvert$. Since, $\lim_{r\to 1} \max_{\lvert \phi - \theta\rvert \ge 0.75\eta} P_r(\phi - \theta) = 0$, then $|J_2| < 0.5 \epsilon$ for all $r$ sufficiently close to $1$. Hence, $\lvert F(re^{i\phi}) - F(re^{i\phi_0})\rvert < 0.5 \epsilon + 0.5 \epsilon = \epsilon$ whenever $\lvert \phi - \phi_0\rvert < 0.25\eta$ and $r$ is sufficiently close to $1$. Consequently, $\lim_{z \to z_0} F(z) = f(z_0)$.

1. What is the POTW?

The POTW (Problem of the Week) is a weekly challenge presented by various scientific organizations to test critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

2. Is the POTW unsolved this week?

It depends on the specific POTW challenge for that week. Some may have been solved by previous participants, while others may still be unsolved.

3. How do I check the solution for the current POTW?

You can check the solution by visiting the website or social media page of the organization hosting the POTW. They usually post the solution after the deadline for submissions has passed.

4. Can I still submit my answer even if the POTW has been solved?

Yes, you can still submit your answer even if the POTW has been solved. However, it will not be considered for the official solution.

5. Is there a prize for solving the POTW?

Some organizations may offer a prize for those who correctly solve the POTW, but it varies depending on the organizer. The main purpose of the POTW is to challenge and engage individuals in critical thinking and problem-solving.