Can you solve this week's POTW using contour integration?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Euge
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, contour integration is a method used to evaluate integrals along a given curve in the complex plane. It is often used in solving complex problems, such as the Problem of the Week, and has various real-world applications. While it can be challenging to understand at first, with practice and understanding of complex numbers, it can become easier to use. However, there are limitations to its use, such as when the integrand has singularities on the contour.
Euge
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Here is this week's POTW:

-----
Using contour integration, prove

$$\int_0^\infty \sin(x^\alpha)\, dx = \sin\left(\frac{\pi}{2\alpha}\right)\,\Gamma\!\left(1 + \frac{1}{\alpha}\right),\quad \alpha > 1.$$-----

Remember to read the http://www.mathhelpboards.com/showthread.php?772-Problem-of-the-Week-%28POTW%29-Procedure-and-Guidelines to find out how to http://www.mathhelpboards.com/forms.php?do=form&fid=2!

Physics news on Phys.org
This week's problem was solved by Opalg. You can read his solution below.
Integrate the function $f(z) = e^{iz^\alpha}$ over a "pizza slice" contour consisting of (1) the x-axis from $0$ to $r$, (2) a circular arc of radius $r$ from $r$ to $re^{i\pi/(2\alpha)}$, (3) a straight line from $re^{i\pi/(2\alpha)}$ to $0$, and then let $r\to\infty$. Call the three integrals $I_1$, $I_2$, $I_3$.

Then \(\displaystyle I_1 = \int_0^\infty e^{ix^\alpha}dx = \int_0^\infty (\cos(x^\alpha) + i\sin(x^\alpha))\,dx.\)

For $I_2$, use the parametrisation $z = re^{i\theta}$. Then $$|f(z)| = \bigl|\exp\bigl(i(re^{i\theta})^\alpha\bigr)\bigr| = \bigl|\exp\bigl(ir^\alpha e^{i\alpha\theta}\bigr)\bigr| = \bigl|\exp\bigl(ir^\alpha (\cos(\alpha\theta) + i\sin(\alpha\theta))\bigr)\bigr| = \bigl|\exp\bigl(ir^\alpha \cos(\alpha\theta) - r^\alpha\sin(\alpha\theta))\bigr)\bigr| \leqslant \bigl|e^{-r^\alpha\sin(\alpha\theta)}\bigr|.$$ But for $0\leqslant \theta \leqslant \pi/(2\alpha)$, $\sin(\alpha\theta) \geqslant k\alpha\theta$ for some positive constant $k$ (in fact, you could take $k = 2/\pi$). Therefore, on the contour of $I_2$, $|f(z)| \leqslant \exp(-kr^\alpha\theta)$, and so $$|I_2| \leqslant \int_0^{\pi/(2\alpha)}\exp(-kr^\alpha\theta)r\,d\theta = \Bigl[\frac{-r}{kr^\alpha}\exp(-kr^\alpha\theta)\Bigr]_0^{\pi/(2\alpha)} \leqslant \frac1{kr^{\alpha-1}} \to0 \text{ as } r\to\infty.$$

So $I_2 = 0$. That was a delicate and somewhat messy calculation, but I don't see how to shorten it.

For $I_3$ let $z = se^{i\pi/(2\alpha)}$. Then $$I_3 = \int_\infty^0 e^{-s^\alpha}e^{i\pi/(2\alpha)}ds = -e^{i\pi/(2\alpha)}\int_0^\infty e^{-s^\alpha}ds.$$ Substitute $t = s^\alpha$ (so that $dt = \alpha s^{\alpha-1}dt = \alpha t^{1 - \frac1\alpha}\,ds$) and integrate by parts to get $$\int_0^\infty e^{-s^\alpha}ds = \int_0^\infty e^{-t} \tfrac1\alpha t^{ \frac1\alpha - 1}\,dt = \int_0^\infty t^{1/\alpha}e^{-t}dt = \Gamma\bigl(1 + \tfrac1\alpha \bigr).$$ Hence $I_3 = -e^{i\pi/(2\alpha)}\Gamma\bigl(1 + \frac1\alpha \bigr)$.

The function $f(z)$ has no zeros inside the contour (or anywhere else for that matter), and so $I_1 + I_2 + I_3 = 0$. Therefore $$ \int_0^\infty (\cos(x^\alpha) + i\sin(x^\alpha))\,dx = e^{i\pi/(2\alpha)}\Gamma\bigl(1 + \tfrac1\alpha \bigr).$$ Finally, take the imaginary part to get \(\displaystyle \int_0^\infty \sin(x^\alpha)\,dx = \sin\bigl(\tfrac\pi{2\alpha}\bigr)\Gamma\bigl(1 + \tfrac1\alpha \bigr).\)

1. What is contour integration?

Contour integration is a method used in complex analysis to evaluate integrals along a given curve or contour in the complex plane.

2. How does contour integration relate to the Problem of the Week (POTW)?

The POTW often involves complex functions and the use of contour integration allows for a more efficient and elegant solution to these problems.

3. Is contour integration a difficult concept to understand?

Contour integration can be a challenging concept to grasp initially, but with practice and understanding of complex numbers, it can become easier to understand and apply.

4. Can contour integration be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, contour integration has many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields to solve real-world problems involving complex functions and integrals.

5. Are there any limitations to using contour integration?

While contour integration is a powerful tool, there are certain cases where it may not be applicable, such as when the integrand has singularities on the contour.