What is the solution to this week's POTW?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Euge
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, the POTW, or Problem of the Week, is a weekly challenge that presents a specific problem related to a subject or topic. It is created by a team of experts and scientists and aims to stimulate critical thinking and problem-solving skills in individuals, particularly in the fields of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics. Participation is open to anyone with the necessary knowledge and skills, and the prize for solving the POTW varies depending on the organization or institution.
Euge
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Here's this week's POTW:

-----
Determine the value of the definite integral

$$\int_0^\infty \frac{dt}{(1+t^2)t^{1/2}}$$-----

Remember to read the http://www.mathhelpboards.com/showthread.php?772-Problem-of-the-Week-%28POTW%29-Procedure-and-Guidelines to find out how to http://www.mathhelpboards.com/forms.php?do=form&fid=2!

Physics news on Phys.org
Congratulations to Opalg for his correct solution. Honorable mention goes to fatimarose23. Here is Opalg's solution.
Substitute $s = t^{1/2}$, so that $t=s^2$ and $dt = 2s\,ds$. Then $$\int_0^\infty \frac{dt}{(1+t^2)t^{1/2}} = \int_0^\infty \frac{2s}{(1+s^4)s}ds = \int_0^\infty \frac{2}{(1+s^4)}ds.$$ To evaluate \(\displaystyle J = \int_0^\infty \frac{2}{(1+s^4)}ds\) by contour integration, use a contour consisting of the interval $[0,R]$, a quarter-circle from $R$ to $iR$ and then back down the imaginary axis to the origin (and then let $R\to\infty$). The integral of $\dfrac2{1+z^4}$ along the positive real axis is just $J$, the integral round the quarter-circle goes to $0$, and the integral down the imaginary axis is $-iJ$. So the integral round the whole contour is $(1-i)J.$

The only singularity inside the contour is at the fourth root of $-1$ at $z_0 = \dfrac{1+i}{\sqrt2}$. The residue there is $\dfrac2{4z^3}$ evaluated at $z_0$, namely $\dfrac{\sqrt2}{2(-1+i)}.$ So Cauchy's theorem tells us that $(1-i)J = \dfrac{2\pi i\sqrt2}{2(-1+i)}$. Therefore $$J = \frac{\pi i\sqrt2}{- (1-i)^2} = \frac{\pi i\sqrt2}{2i} = \frac{\pi}{\sqrt2}.$$

1. What is the POTW?

The POTW stands for "Problem of the Week". It is a weekly challenge given to students or individuals to solve a particular problem related to a specific subject or topic.

2. How is the POTW created?

The POTW is typically created by a team of experts or scientists in a particular field. They carefully choose a problem that is challenging but can be solved using critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

3. What is the purpose of the POTW?

The purpose of the POTW is to stimulate critical thinking and problem-solving skills in individuals. It also serves as a way to test and enhance one's understanding and knowledge of a specific subject or topic.

4. Who can participate in the POTW?

Anyone can participate in the POTW, as long as they have the necessary knowledge and skills to solve the given problem. It is commonly used as a challenge for students in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) fields.

5. Is there a prize for solving the POTW?

The prize for solving the POTW varies, depending on the organization or institution that created it. Some may offer monetary rewards, while others may offer recognition or certificates of achievement.