Can You Solve This Non-Exact Differential Equation?

• Thread starter freezer
  • Start date
In summary, the student is trying to find an equation that will solve for y in terms of x, but can't seem to do it. They were told to use an integrating factor, but that didn't work. They eventually found an equation that matched the original equation, but it wasn't exact.
freezer

Homework Statement

This is from a worksheet...
[itex]
(\frac{y^2}{2}+ 2ye^x) + (y + e^x)\frac{_{dy}}{dx} = 0
[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

After messing with this several times, i went through the through the textbook for examples but nothing in the chapter matches with the exception of exact.. with a bit of manipulation i matched up the form. But it is not exact so that does not work. We have covered up separable, substitution, and exact and none seem to fit.

[itex]

\frac{\partial F}{\partial y}= y + 2e^x \neq \frac{\partial F}{\partial x} = e^x
[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
I see what you are saying but not how you can simplify the origional eq into what you got.

I get

[itex]
y(\frac{y}{2}+2e^x) + (y+e^x)y' = 0
[/itex]

if you say that

p(x) = [itex] (\frac{y}{2}+2e^x) [/itex]

then p(x) is not going to integrate very nice.

If i distribut the y'

[itex]

\frac{y^2}{2}+2ye^x + yy'+ y'e^x = 0

[/itex]

rearange a bit

[itex]
\frac{y^2}{2}+ yy' + 2ye^x + + y'e^x = 0
[/itex]

factor

[itex]
y(\frac{y}{2}+ y') + e^x(2y + y') = 0
[/itex]

but then what?

I was thinking:

[itex]

(\frac{y^2}{2}+ 2ye^x)dx = -(y+e^x)dy

[/itex]

Then:

[itex]

\frac{xy^2}{2}+ 2ye^x = -\frac{1}{2}y^2 - ye^x + c
[/itex]

then to:
[itex]
\frac{xy^2}{2}+ 2ye^x + \frac{1}{2} y^2 + ye^x = c
[/itex]

freezer said:
I was thinking:

[itex]

(\frac{y^2}{2}+ 2ye^x)dx = -(y+e^x)dy

[/itex]

Then:

[itex]

\frac{xy^2}{2}+ 2ye^x = -\frac{1}{2}y^2 - ye^x + c
[/itex]

You can't integrate like that since y is a function of x. You need to put it into standard form:

[tex](y^2/2+2ye^x)dx+(y+e^x) dy=0=Mdx+Ndy[/tex]

Then:

[tex]\frac{1}{N}(M_y-N_x)=1=f(x)[/tex]

The integrating factor is then [itex]e^{\int 1 dx}[/itex]

Now multiply both sides of the standard-form by this integrating factor to make it exact then proceed to solve it using the technique of exact equations. Also, first check that it is indeed exact in case I made a mistake.

I did not know that Dixie Queen did this kind of calculation!

1. What is a DQ worksheet equation?

A DQ worksheet equation is a mathematical formula used to analyze data and solve problems related to a specific subject or experiment. It is often used in scientific research and can help scientists make predictions or draw conclusions based on collected data.

2. How do I create a DQ worksheet equation?

To create a DQ worksheet equation, you must first identify the variables and constants that are relevant to your problem. Then, use mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division to combine these variables and constants into an equation. It is important to double check your equation for accuracy and make sure it follows the rules of algebra.

3. Can I use a DQ worksheet equation for any type of data?

Yes, DQ worksheet equations can be used for a variety of data types, including numerical, categorical, and continuous data. However, the type of data may impact the type of equation that is used. For example, linear equations are commonly used for numerical data, while logistic equations are used for categorical data.

4. How do I know if my DQ worksheet equation is correct?

To check the accuracy of your DQ worksheet equation, you can plug in known values for the variables and see if the equation produces the expected result. You can also compare your equation to similar equations used in previous studies or consult with other scientists in your field for feedback and validation.

5. Can I modify a DQ worksheet equation to fit my specific needs?

Yes, DQ worksheet equations can be modified to fit your specific needs. However, it is important to understand the underlying principles and assumptions of the original equation before making any modifications. Additionally, any modifications should be properly tested and validated to ensure accuracy.