What is the solution to POTW #285 for Feb 01, 2019?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Euge
  • Start date
In summary, POTW #285 for Feb 01, 2019 is the 285th "Problem of the Week" challenge posted on February 01, 2019, which invites individuals to solve a problem related to a specific topic or field. The purpose of this challenge is to encourage critical thinking and problem-solving skills, while also providing a fun and engaging way to learn new concepts. To participate, individuals can visit the designated platform and follow the instructions provided. There may also be a prize for solving the challenge, which could range from recognition to a physical or monetary reward. The deadline for submitting a solution is typically specified on the platform and it is important to adhere to it in order to be considered for any potential prizes or recognition
Euge
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Here is this week's POTW:

-----
Evaluate the integral $$\int_0^\infty \frac{\cos(ax)}{\cosh b + \cosh x}\, dx$$ where $a$ is real and $b > 0$.

-----

Remember to read the https://mathhelpboards.com/showthread.php?772-Problem-of-the-Week-%28POTW%29-Procedure-and-Guidelines to find out how to https://mathhelpboards.com/forms.php?do=form&fid=2!

Physics news on Phys.org
No one answered this week's problem. You can read my solution below.

Let $r > 0$ such that $\sinh r > 2\cosh b$ and consider the contour integral
$$\oint_{\Gamma(R)} \frac{e^{iaz}}{\cosh b + \cosh z}\, dz$$ where $\Gamma(R)$ is the positively oriented rectangle with vertices at $\pm R, \pm R + 2\pi i$. The integrand, call it $f(z)$ for short, has simple poles at $z = \pm b + \pi i$ lying inside $\Gamma(R)$, so by the residue theorem the integral equals $$2\pi i [\operatorname{Res}_{z = b + \pi i} f(z) + \operatorname{Res}_{z = -b + \pi i} f(z)] = 2\pi i\left[-\frac{e^{iab}e^{-\pi a}}{\sinh b} + \frac{e^{-iab}e^{-\pi a}}{\sinh b} \right] = 4e^{-\pi b}\frac{\pi \sin ab}{\sinh b}$$ The integral of $f(z)$ along the vertical edges of $\Gamma(R)$ is $O(1/\sinh R)$ as $R \to \infty$ since, given $R > r$ and $z$ on a vertical edge, $$\lvert f(z)\rvert \le \frac{e^{-a\operatorname{Im}(z)}}{\sinh R - \cosh b} \le \frac{2}{\sinh R}$$ The sum of the integrals of $f$ along the top and bottom edges is $(1 - e^{-2\pi a})\int_{-R}^R f(x)\, dx$, so in the limit as $R \to \infty$, $$(1 - e^{-2\pi a})\int_{-\infty}^\infty f(x)\, dx = 4e^{-\pi a}\frac{\pi \sin ab}{\sinh b}$$ Taking the real part and exploiting symmetry we deduce

$$\int_0^\infty \frac{\cos ax}{\cosh b + \cosh x}\, dx = \frac{\pi \sin ab}{\sinh \pi a \sinh b}$$

1. What is POTW #285 for Feb 01, 2019?

POTW #285 for Feb 01, 2019 refers to the Problem of the Week, a weekly challenge presented by the American Mathematical Society. It is a math problem that was released on February 1, 2019.

2. What is the purpose of POTW #285 for Feb 01, 2019?

The purpose of POTW #285 for Feb 01, 2019 is to challenge individuals to think critically and creatively to solve a complex math problem. It also encourages problem-solving skills and promotes interest in mathematics.

3. What is the solution to POTW #285 for Feb 01, 2019?

The solution to POTW #285 for Feb 01, 2019 can vary depending on the approach and method used to solve the problem. It is not a single, definitive answer, but rather a process of problem-solving that can lead to various solutions.

4. How can I solve POTW #285 for Feb 01, 2019?

To solve POTW #285 for Feb 01, 2019, you can start by carefully reading and understanding the problem, breaking it down into smaller parts, and using mathematical principles and techniques to find a solution. Collaborating with others and seeking guidance from a math expert can also be helpful.

5. What are the benefits of solving POTW #285 for Feb 01, 2019?

Solving POTW #285 for Feb 01, 2019 can improve critical thinking and problem-solving skills, enhance mathematical knowledge and understanding, and provide a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction. It can also lead to new insights and discoveries in the field of mathematics.