How to solve POTW #290?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Euge
  • Start date
In summary, to approach solving POTW #290, it is important to first understand the problem and its requirements. Some strategies for solving the problem include breaking it down into smaller parts and using visual aids. To check your solution, plug your values into the given equations and double check your work for any errors. Common mistakes to avoid include misinterpreting the problem and making calculation errors. You will know if you have solved the problem correctly if your solution satisfies all the conditions and requirements.
Euge
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Here is this week's POTW:

-----
Show that $$\int_0^\infty \left[\frac{J_1(t)}{t}\right]^2\, dt = \frac{4}{3\pi}$$

where $J_1$ is the Bessel function of the first kind of order one.
-----

Remember to read the https://mathhelpboards.com/showthread.php?772-Problem-of-the-Week-%28POTW%29-Procedure-and-Guidelines to find out how to https://mathhelpboards.com/forms.php?do=form&fid=2!

Physics news on Phys.org
No one answered this week's problem. You can read my solution below.
Note $$J_1(t) = \frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\pi}^{\pi} e^{-i\theta + it\sin(\theta)}\, d\theta$$ so that $$[J_1(t)]^2 = \frac{1}{4\pi^2} \int_{-\pi}^\pi \int_{-\pi}^\pi e^{-i(\theta + \phi) + it(\sin(\theta) + \sin(\phi))}\, d\theta\, d\phi = \frac{1}{2\pi^2} \int_0^\pi \int_{-\pi}^\pi e^{-2iu + 2it\sin u \cos v}\, du\, dv = \frac{1}{\pi}\int_0^\pi J_2(2t\cos v)\, dv = \frac{2}{\pi}\int_0^{\pi/2} J_2(2t\cos v)\, dv$$ Thus
$$\int_0^\infty \left[\frac{J_1(t)}{t}\right]^2\, dt = \frac{2}{\pi}\int_0^{\pi/2} \int_0^\infty\frac{J_2(2t\cos v)}{t^2}\, dt\, dv = \frac{2}{\pi}\int_0^{\pi/2} 2\cos v\, dv \int_0^\infty \frac{J_2(t)}{t^2}\, dt = \frac{2}{\pi}\cdot 2\cdot \frac{1}{3} = \frac{4}{3\pi}$$

1. How do I approach solving POTW #290?

The first step in solving any problem is to carefully read and understand the given information. Make sure to identify any key variables or equations that may be relevant to the problem. It may also be helpful to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts.

2. What are some common strategies for solving POTW #290?

Some common strategies for solving problems in general include trial and error, using known formulas or equations, and breaking down the problem into smaller parts. It may also be helpful to draw diagrams or make lists to organize your thoughts.

3. How do I know if my solution to POTW #290 is correct?

To check the accuracy of your solution, you can plug your answer back into the original problem and see if it satisfies all the given conditions. You can also ask a friend or colleague to review your work and provide feedback.

4. What should I do if I get stuck while solving POTW #290?

If you find yourself stuck on a particular step or unable to solve the problem, take a break and come back to it later with a fresh perspective. You can also try looking for similar problems or seeking help from a teacher or tutor.

5. Are there any tips for solving POTW #290 more efficiently?

Some tips for solving problems more efficiently include organizing your thoughts and working systematically, using shortcuts or known formulas, and practicing regularly to improve problem-solving skills. It may also be helpful to break down the problem into smaller parts and tackle them one at a time.