Can you theorize on what I winessed?

• Thread starter Max431
  • Start date
In summary: The picture shows a jet with a vapor trail behind it, the vapor trail shows where the sound waves from the jet are hitting the atmosphere. The jet appears to disappear into the vapor trail.
Max431
I have recently witnessed a jet disappear INTO what I would call a worm-hole. Any de-bunkers care to take this on?

Physics news on Phys.org
Seek therapy.

- Warren

cannot theorize wihout a full description of the events you witnessed.

the answer

Yes, I've seen the effect you incorrectly alluded to as a 'wormhole'. It occurs when a plane breaks the sound barrier. What happens is that a conical vapor of water and atmospheric gas, is emitted from the jets nose tip and extends outwards around the plane (in a symetical cone shape) and thus the plane 'appears' to be flying into it. Its caused by sound waves which become loud enough (great enough amplitude) to vaporize the air in front of the plane. Its a very simple effect. I have seen several videos of it before. :smile:

Nice answer, far more effective than dreck like "seek therapy."

Does this cone of vapor make the plane appear to disappear?

not to nitpick.. but i would rephrase "appear to disappear"... because matter can't just disappear. So if it appears to disappear, it disappeared.

Picture of jet sonic boom vapour trail

Enjoy this nice photo. It was taken just after the initial boom was emitted from the nose and wings. Depending on the design of the aircraft, the vapour trail can either be more predominant at the plane's nose (as your 'warp' observation stated) or the vapour trail can be more predominant at the wings. This is largely a result of an interesting effect where the plane's nose's wake can take a path over the wings, whereupon they are further subjected to the sonic boom of the wings. Whereas some planes, newer ones especially, have noses that deflect the wake around the wings as much as possible. Therefore, it is my guess that you witnessed a fairly recent model airplane with the aforementioned wake-dispersal technology. Another word for wakes, is 'vertices'. Google search that if you'd like to know more about it.

Enjoy.
:smile:
Picture is attached.

Attachments

• jet-fighter-in-mid-sonic-boom-cloud-jpeg.jpg
    jet-fighter-in-mid-sonic-boom-cloud-jpeg.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 498
Read the text under the picture too

The text gives the specifics for the picture taken, read it for a good understanding.

Related to Can you theorize on what I winessed?

1. What is a theory?

A theory is an explanation or interpretation of a phenomenon or set of phenomena based on evidence and logical reasoning. It is a well-supported and widely accepted explanation that can be used to make predictions and guide further research.

2. How do scientists develop theories?

Scientists develop theories by gathering and analyzing data, conducting experiments, and using logical reasoning to make sense of their observations. They also consider previous research and evidence from other sources to build upon existing knowledge and develop new theories.

3. Can theories be proven or disproven?

Theories cannot be proven or disproven in the same way that scientific laws can be. However, they can be supported or refuted by evidence and further research. A successful theory is one that has withstood rigorous testing and has the support of a majority of the scientific community.

4. How are theories different from hypotheses?

Theories and hypotheses are both used in scientific research, but they serve different purposes. A hypothesis is a proposed explanation for a specific phenomenon, while a theory is a well-supported and widely accepted explanation for a broader set of phenomena. Theories are based on a larger body of evidence and can be used to make predictions, while hypotheses are more specific and require further testing to become theories.

5. Can theories change over time?

Yes, theories can change over time as new evidence is discovered and new technologies and methods of research are developed. As our understanding of the natural world evolves, theories may be modified or replaced with new, more comprehensive explanations. This is a normal and essential part of the scientific process.