Exploring the Physical Properties of Human-Sized Worm Holes

In summary, according to the author, a wormhole would seem like empty space to someone traveling through it, and it would have no edge.
Unbreakabletoon
TL;DR Summary
Worm Hole Theoretical question. Worm hole physical properties.
Hello Everyone in the forum:
I have a theoretical question about Worm Holes. So for the sake of this question let's just assume we have the technology and the power source to fire up a small human size worm hole. My question would be regarding the edge of the worm hole. Would you be able to touch the edge or would the worm hole be more like a fourth dimensional sphere? (since it is connecting space by folding it on a higher dimension). However, if you were able to actually touch the edge would it be solid or would it be infinitely sharp?

Physics news on Phys.org
Unbreakabletoon said:
My question would be regarding the edge of the worm hole.

The wormhole doesn't have an edge. It blends continuously into the surrounding spacetime.

Unbreakabletoon said:
Would you be able to touch the edge or would the worm hole be more like a fourth dimensional sphere?

Neither.

Unbreakabletoon said:
since it is connecting space by folding it on a higher dimension

This is a common pop science description, but it has nothing whatever to do with actual mathematical models of wormholes. In the actual mathematical models, spacetime is just a 4-dimensional continuum; it's not embedded in anything higher-dimensional. In spacetimes with wormholes, the continuum is multiply connected, but that can be described entirely in terms of properties within the continuum, without having to make use of any embedding in anything higher dimensional.

Unbreakabletoon said:
However, if you were able to actually touch the edge would it be solid or would it be infinitely sharp?

A wormhole would seem to someone traveling through it like empty space, which has neither of these properties.

Thank you. Can you recommend any books in the subject? :smile:

Likes kent davidge
Unbreakabletoon said:
Can you recommend any books in the subject?

Not books, but the original wormhole paper by Morris & Thorne is worth reading:

http://www.cmp.caltech.edu/refael/league/thorne-morris.pdf

• Informative
Likes Klystron
Thank you very much for your time. I had the feeling most Hollywood movies had this wrong. I started thinking about this and wasn't able to find a specific answer in most articles I read.

1. What are worm holes?

Worm holes are theoretical tunnels or shortcuts through space-time that connect two distant points in the universe.

2. How are worm holes formed?

Worm holes are formed when the fabric of space-time is bent and folded, creating a tunnel-like structure.

3. Can humans enter worm holes?

Currently, there is no scientific evidence to suggest that worm holes exist or that humans can enter them. They are purely theoretical at this point.

4. What are the potential physical properties of human-sized worm holes?

The physical properties of human-sized worm holes are still unknown, as they have not been observed or studied in detail. However, they are believed to have strong gravitational forces and may have the ability to transport matter and energy.

5. How can we explore the physical properties of human-sized worm holes?

At this time, we do not have the technology or means to explore human-sized worm holes. However, scientists are constantly researching and studying the concept in hopes of one day being able to observe and understand them.