Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Canberra Multiport II Ginie 2000 Stops counting

1. Jul 16, 2008 #1
    We have Canberra Multiport II with 5 ADCs and coupled to Ginie 2000 software using USB key, we are using only one ADC no #3 currently. Counting is carried out for preset number of counts under single ROI. The counting automatically stops mostly at around 2200 hrs or 0000 hrs or 1000 hrs. This problem gets solved if we clear all ROI and again mark a single ROI. This problem reoccurs after 2 or 3 days. We checked the computer logs, there are no update events or any other software installation events logged in the windows.
    Has anyone of you have faced similar situation. Please guide us to solve this unfamiliar problem.
    PS: The problem persists even after changing ADC

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2008 #2
    Are your sure? This means you are counting for months at a time.
    Otherwise, I have always had problems with Genie2K VDM locking up every few weeks or so on two separate installations. I have to close the VDM and restart counting. I do suspect it has to do with lack of computer power and memory. Canberra support services are no help for this problem, but I would still suggest that you refer your problem to them.

Chris Leslie

4. Jul 17, 2008 #3
    Yes, our counting system once up we dont bring it down unless windows require critical update etc. But the problem reoccurs even after rebooting, there is no pattern except for the timing at which it stops. Some worst days it stopped 3 times in 8 hrs interval (on holidays so no reason of any ground level fluctuations) but this was very rare.
    Surely I will, I wanted to know wheather this is a common problem and is there some solution or is it a some error at our end.
    Thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?