Canberra Multiport II Ginie 2000 Stops counting

• Thread starter hsodaye
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Counting
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with the Canberra Multiport II counting system, where it automatically stops at specific times and can be solved temporarily by clearing the ROI. This issue reoccurs after a few days and there are no updates or software installations that could be causing it. The problem persists even after changing the ADC and other users have also experienced similar issues. Suggestions are made to contact Canberra support for further assistance.
hsodaye
We have Canberra Multiport II with 5 ADCs and coupled to Ginie 2000 software using USB key, we are using only one ADC no #3 currently. Counting is carried out for preset number of counts under single ROI. The counting automatically stops mostly at around 2200 hrs or 0000 hrs or 1000 hrs. This problem gets solved if we clear all ROI and again mark a single ROI. This problem reoccurs after 2 or 3 days. We checked the computer logs, there are no update events or any other software installation events logged in the windows.
Has anyone of you have faced similar situation. Please guide us to solve this unfamiliar problem.
PS: The problem persists even after changing ADC

Physics news on Phys.org
The counting automatically stops mostly at around 2200 hrs or 0000 hrs or 1000 hrs.
Are your sure? This means you are counting for months at a time.
Otherwise, I have always had problems with Genie2K VDM locking up every few weeks or so on two separate installations. I have to close the VDM and restart counting. I do suspect it has to do with lack of computer power and memory. Canberra support services are no help for this problem, but I would still suggest that you refer your problem to them.

Chris Leslie

Yes, our counting system once up we don't bring it down unless windows require critical update etc. But the problem reoccurs even after rebooting, there is no pattern except for the timing at which it stops. Some worst days it stopped 3 times in 8 hrs interval (on holidays so no reason of any ground level fluctuations) but this was very rare.
Surely I will, I wanted to know wheather this is a common problem and is there some solution or is it a some error at our end.
Thank you.

1. What is the purpose of the Canberra Multiport II Ginie 2000?

The Canberra Multiport II Ginie 2000 is a sophisticated counting machine used in scientific research laboratories. It is designed to accurately count and measure radioactive particles and other small particles in a sample.

2. How does the Canberra Multiport II Ginie 2000 work?

The Ginie 2000 works by using a combination of detectors, electronics, and software to detect and count particles in a sample. The sample is placed in a chamber and the detectors measure the energy and intensity of particles passing through the chamber, which is then analyzed by the software to determine the number and type of particles present.

3. Can the Ginie 2000 count multiple types of particles at once?

Yes, the Ginie 2000 has the ability to count and differentiate between multiple types of particles in a sample. This is done through the use of different detectors and software settings, allowing for a more comprehensive analysis of the sample.

4. What makes the Ginie 2000 different from other counting machines?

The Ginie 2000 is unique in its ability to count and measure a wide range of particle sizes and types, from large alpha particles to small beta and gamma particles. It also has a high counting efficiency and low background noise, making it a reliable tool for precise measurements in scientific research.

5. How accurate is the Ginie 2000 in counting particles?

The Ginie 2000 has a high degree of accuracy in counting particles, with a resolution of up to 0.1%, making it suitable for a variety of scientific applications. It also has the ability to count particles in real-time, providing researchers with immediate results for their experiments.