Canceling Sin in Equation: 4/(3x+3) / 4/3x = 1

• Thread starter mattmannmf
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed the equation Sin (4/(3x+3)) / Sin (4/3x)= 1 and whether or not the sin's could be canceled out. The conclusion was that the letters "s-i-n" in \sin(x) are not variables and therefore cannot be canceled out in the equation. However, the conversation also touched on the use of L'Hôpital's rule and the requirement of the limit to exist for the theorem to work.
mattmannmf
Dumb moment here...I have the following equation:

Sin (4/(3x+3)) / Sin (4/3x)= 1

can i cancel out the sin's?

Physics news on Phys.org
mattmannmf said:

No you can't just randomly cancel it out.

But you can rearrange and say that if sinX=sinY then it implies that X=Y.

what if i was taking the limit of that equation:

Lim Sin (4/(3x+3)) / Sin (4/3x)
x->inf

I think the lim sinf(x) = sin lim f(x) is valid if I remember correctly.

mattmannmf said:

As long as a isn't 0 you can do this:
[tex]\frac{a\cdot b}{a \cdot c} = \frac{b}{c}[/tex]

Do you notice a significant difference between what I did compared to what you're trying to do?

mattmannmf said:

Isn't this equivalent to

working on it-

Last edited:
No, you can't cancel the sins! Imagine this equation:

[tex] {\sin(x)\over\sin(y)}=2 [/tex]

If you cancel the sin's you get [tex]x/y=2[/tex], which is wrong. But what about taking the denominator to the other side? Then you can do something clever: if [tex]sin(x)=sin(y)[/tex], then there is a known relation between x and y. Either they're equal or...

mattmannmf said:

The letters s-i-n in [itex]\sin(x)[/itex] are not variables. Those three letters together stand for an operation -- namely the operation of computing the sine of x. Similarly, we use the "+" symbol to refer to the operation of adding two values.

"Canceling" is the notion of dividing out by a common nonzero number, or by a common variable that stands for a nonzero number. "sin" is not a variable; it is an operation. Canceling is not a matter of "deleting letters and symbols" that appear in both the numerator and denominator.

rs1n said:
The letters s-i-n in [itex]\sin(x)[/itex] are not variables. Those three letters together stand for an operation -- namely the operation of computing the sine of x. Similarly, we use the "+" symbol to refer to the operation of adding two values.

"Canceling" is the notion of dividing out by a common nonzero number, or by a common variable that stands for a nonzero number. "sin" is not a variable; it is an operation. Canceling is not a matter of "deleting letters and symbols" that appear in both the numerator and denominator.
Does this mean I can't do this...
[tex]\frac{sin x}{n} = 6[/tex]
?
:biggrin: ?

I thought that [tex]i=\sqrt{-1}[/tex] I'm confused...:)

Yeah, so funny... ;)

But if you want the limit, still can't cancel the sin's (cancel the sins... what would a priest think?) :P But you can do the obvious thing, try to substitute. You get sin(0)/sin(0) so, 0/0... why don't you try now L'Hôpital?

I'd really like someone to cancel my sins...

jrlaguna said:
Yeah, so funny... ;)

But if you want the limit, still can't cancel the sin's (cancel the sins... what would a priest think?) :P But you can do the obvious thing, try to substitute. You get sin(0)/sin(0) so, 0/0... why don't you try now L'Hôpital?

There this Wiki-link here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L'Hôpital's_rule

which gives some good examples on howto use L'Hospitals rule. Something which is a bit strange is that why is it to become a famous mathematician you have to so strange names? ;)

Only mathematician with a easy name to remember is Niels Henrik Abel and Cauchy.

:D Susanne

Jrlaguna's conjecture: the higher you climb into advanced mathematics, the more strange the names of the theorems will get. A proof is required, but we have good evidence of that... what do you think of "Gupta-Bleuler quantization"?

Susanne217 said:
There this Wiki-link here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L'Hôpital's_rule

which gives some good examples on howto use L'Hospitals rule. Something which is a bit strange is that why is it to become a famous mathematician you have to so strange names? ;)

Only mathematician with a easy name to remember is Niels Henrik Abel and Cauchy.

:D Susanne

I'd also include Euclid, Newton, Leibniz, and Neumann on that list, but in general I think you're right. I still can't remember how to spell Ramananan, and he seems to have done everything he can with numbers.

Char. Limit said:
I'd also include Euclid, Newton, Leibniz, and Neumann on that list, but in general I think you're right. I still can't remember how to spell Ramananan, and he seems to have done everything he can with numbers.

Euclid, Newton off cause... :D If I invent a some theory which actually works one day, then I will change my name to L'Susanniwitz then I will surely be remembered :)

You know the sense of humour of physicists... so when you come up with an important equation, this thread will come up and they will call it the Susanniwitz equation, no matter what your wishes are by then! Sorry, darling, you're dooooomed! :) :) :)

jrlaguna said:
You know the sense of humour of physicists... so when you come up with an important equation, this thread will come up and they will call it the Susanniwitz equation, no matter what your wishes are by then! Sorry, darling, you're dooooomed! :) :) :)

Yeah you are right.

By the way back to the original problem and by using L'Hospital one runs into one of funny requirements that in order for that old french guys theory to work then the limit as show in the example has to be there. And I surgest to the original poster to test if the limit

[tex]\lim_{x \to \infty} \frac{f(x)}{g(x)}[/tex] exists :blushing:

Yeah, funny as it is the other discussion, let us focus, boys and girls, ok? :)

In this case, the limit does exist, the conditions on the theorem are met. Promised. The question poser has to work it out, though. (This is homework help.)

jrlaguna said:
Yeah, funny as it is the other discussion, let us focus, boys and girls, ok? :)

In this case, the limit does exist, the conditions on the theorem are met. Promised. The question poser has to work it out, though. (This is homework help.)

The funny thing is I tested this problem on the equation-solver on old TI-92 and it claims that there are several solutions to the OP problem like the solutions are polynomial...

You mean the eq, sin(...)/sin(...)=1, right? The limit has a unique solution, and he can find it with... L'H. :P

The funny thing is I tested this problem on the equation-solver on old TI-92 and it claims that there are several solutions to the OP problem like the solutions are polynomial...

Your calculator is correct. Don't forget that if you have an equation of the type sin(x)=sin(y) then x=y+2pi*k is a solution for k an integer.

Cyosis said:
Your calculator is correct. Don't forget that if you have an equation of the type sin(x)=sin(y) then x=y+2pi*k is a solution for k an integer.

Okay,

I guess even though I have dropped my TI Calculator in the floor, spilled Coca Cola on it, hell it still works :D

Related to Canceling Sin in Equation: 4/(3x+3) / 4/3x = 1

1. How do I cancel the sin in equation: 4/(3x+3) / 4/3x = 1?

The sin in this equation cannot be canceled because it is not present. It is likely that you are confusing the terms "sin" and "x". In this equation, "x" is the variable and cannot be canceled.

2. What are the steps to simplify the equation: 4/(3x+3) / 4/3x = 1?

To simplify this equation, you can first rewrite it as (4/3x) / (4/(3x+3)) = 1. Then, you can use the reciprocal property to rewrite it as (4/3x) * (3x+3)/4 = 1. Finally, you can simplify by canceling out the 4s and multiplying the fractions to get 3x+3 = 4, which can be solved for x.

3. Can I use the distributive property to cancel the terms in the equation: 4/(3x+3) / 4/3x = 1?

No, the distributive property cannot be used to cancel terms in this equation. The distributive property is used to simplify expressions with parentheses, but in this equation, there are no parentheses to distribute.

4. Is there a specific rule for canceling terms in equations like 4/(3x+3) / 4/3x = 1?

There is no specific rule for canceling terms in this equation. The best approach is to rewrite the equation in a simpler form, as shown in question 2, and then use basic algebraic principles to simplify and solve for the variable.

5. Can I cancel out the denominators in the equation: 4/(3x+3) / 4/3x = 1?

Yes, you can cancel out the denominators in this equation, but only after rewriting it in the form (4/3x) / (4/(3x+3)) = 1. Then, you can use the reciprocal property to rewrite it as (4/3x) * (3x+3)/4 = 1 and simplify from there.