Canonical transformation in Hamiltonian

In summary, the conversation discusses the Hamiltonian equations H=\frac{1}{2m}(P+\frac{e}{c}A)^{2} - e\phi and H^{'}=\frac{1}{2m}(P+\frac{e}{c}A^{'})^{2} - e\phi^{'} in the presence of a gauge A^{'}=A+\nabla\chi and \phi^{'}=\phi-\frac{1}{c}\dot{\chi}. It is questioned why H^{'}-\frac{e}{c}\dot{\chi}=e^{-\frac{ie\chi}{\hbar c}}He^{\frac{ie\chi}{\hbar
jackychenp
Hamiltonian [tex]H=\frac{1}{2m}(P+\frac{e}{c}A)^{2} - e\phi and H^{'}=\frac{1}{2m}(P+\frac{e}{c}A^{'})^{2} - e\phi^{'} [/tex]

With gauge: [tex]A^{'}=A+\nabla\chi and \phi^{'}=\phi-\frac{1}{c}\dot{\chi}[/tex]

Why [tex]H^{'}-\frac{e}{c}\dot{\chi}=e^{-\frac{ie\chi}{\hbar c}}He^{\frac{ie\chi}{\hbar c}} [/tex]? Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
jackychenp said:
Hamiltonian [tex]H=\frac{1}{2m}(P+\frac{e}{c}A)^{2} - e\phi and H^{'}=\frac{1}{2m}(P+\frac{e}{c}A^{'})^{2} - e\phi^{'} [/tex]

With gauge: [tex]A^{'}=A+\nabla\chi and \phi^{'}=\phi-\frac{1}{c}\dot{\chi}[/tex]

Why [tex]H^{'}-\frac{e}{c}\dot{\chi}=e^{-\frac{ie\chi}{\hbar c}}He^{\frac{ie\chi}{\hbar c}} [/tex]? Thanks.

replace chi by s*chi and differentiate both sides. Then find a differential equation in s satisfied by both sides of the (modified) equation you are looking for. Since for s=0 the two sides are equal and the initial value problem has a unique solution, the two sides agree for any s, and in particular for s=1.

Last edited:
A. Neumaier said:
replace chi by s*chi and differentiate both sides. Then find a differential equation in s satisfied by both sides of the (modified) equation you are looking for. Since for s=0 the two sides are equal and the initial value problem has a unique solution, the two sides agree for any s, and in particular for s=1.

Hi Neumaier,

Thanks for your reply! In your method, shall I differentiate the euqation [tex]H^{single-quote}-\frac{e}{c}\dot{s\chi}=e^{-\frac{ies\chi}{\hbar c}}He^{\frac{ies\chi}{\hbar c}} [/tex] with t? I didn't find a differential equation in s satisfied by both sides of the (modified) equation .
I was thinking to use taylor expansion to expand [tex] e^{-\frac{ies\chi}{\hbar c}} [/tex] and prove both sides are equal, but it is a little complicate.

jackychenp said:
Hi Neumaier,

Thanks for your reply! In your method, shall I differentiate the euqation [tex]H^{single-quote}-\frac{e}{c}\dot{s\chi}=e^{-\frac{ies\chi}{\hbar c}}He^{\frac{ies\chi}{\hbar c}} [/tex] with t? I didn't find a differential equation in s satisfied by both sides of the (modified) equation .
Differentiate with respect to s. You should get a differential equation of the form Hdot(s)-Chidot=[H(s),Chi], with constants and signs adapted to your actual formula.

A. Neumaier said:
Differentiate with respect to s. You should get a differential equation of the form Hdot(s)-Chidot=[H(s),Chi], with constants and signs adapted to your actual formula.

Thanks. I got [tex] \frac{\partial H^{'}(s)}{\partial s}-\frac{e}{c}\dot{\chi}=\frac{ie}{\hbar c} [e^{\frac{-ies\chi}{\hbar c}}He^{\frac{ies\chi}{\hbar c}} ,\chi][/tex].
By setting s=0 and expand H'(s), the result becomes [tex]\frac{1}{m} (P+\frac{e}{c}A)\bigtriangledown\chi=\frac{ie}{\hbar c}[H,\chi] [/tex]. It looks both sides are not equal.

jackychenp said:
Thanks. I got [tex] \frac{\partial H^{'}(s)}{\partial s}-\frac{e}{c}\dot{\chi}=\frac{ie}{\hbar c} [e^{\frac{-ies\chi}{\hbar c}}He^{\frac{ies\chi}{\hbar c}} ,\chi][/tex].
By setting s=0 and expand H'(s), the result becomes [tex]\frac{1}{m} (P+\frac{e}{c}A)\bigtriangledown\chi=\frac{ie}{\hbar c}[H,\chi] [/tex]. It looks both sides are not equal.
You forgot to evaluate the commutator [H,Chi], using the definitions and the CCR.

Thanks a lot!
I have one more question :
We can set [tex]F(s)= H^{'}-\frac{e}{c}\dot{s\chi} - e^{-\frac{ies\chi}{\hbar c}}He^{\frac{ies\chi}{\hbar c}} [/tex]
So [tex] \frac{\partial F(s))}{\partial s}|_{s=0} = 0[/tex] means the F(s) has a min or max value at s=0. Why F(s) has unique solution and agree for any s?
One simple example is [tex]F(s,x)=s^2x^2[/tex], [tex] \frac{\partial F(s,x)}{\partial s} = 0|_{s=0}[/tex], but F(s,x)=0 only agrees for s=0.

jackychenp said:
Thanks a lot!
I have one more question :
We can set [tex]F(s)= H^{'}-\frac{e}{c}\dot{s\chi} - e^{-\frac{ies\chi}{\hbar c}}He^{\frac{ies\chi}{\hbar c}} [/tex]
So [tex] \frac{\partial F(s))}{\partial s}|_{s=0} = 0[/tex] means the F(s) has a min or max value at s=0. Why F(s) has unique solution and agree for any s?
One simple example is [tex]F(s,x)=s^2x^2[/tex], [tex] \frac{\partial F(s,x)}{\partial s} = 0|_{s=0}[/tex], but F(s,x)=0 only agrees for s=0.
To argue that some function F(s) vanishes for all s you need to show that F(0)=0 _and_ that F(s) satisfies a differential equation Fdot(s)=R(F(s),s) with some R _not_ depending on s and R(0,s)=0 for all s.

Since (under appropriate conditions usually taken fro granted in physics) the solution of an initial value problem for ordinary differential equations is unique and the zero function satisfies the equation and the initial condition, you know that F must be identically zero.

Neumaier, thanks for your patience. I appreciate your help!

1. What is a canonical transformation in Hamiltonian?

A canonical transformation in Hamiltonian is a mathematical transformation that preserves the Hamiltonian equations of motion while changing the coordinates and momenta of a system. It is used to transform a Hamiltonian system to a new set of coordinates that may be more convenient for solving the equations of motion.

2. What are the conditions for a transformation to be canonical in Hamiltonian?

For a transformation to be canonical in Hamiltonian, it must satisfy two conditions: 1) it must preserve the Poisson bracket structure of the Hamiltonian equations of motion, and 2) it must preserve the Hamiltonian function itself.

3. What are the benefits of using canonical transformations in Hamiltonian?

Canonical transformations in Hamiltonian provide a way to simplify the equations of motion for a system by transforming it to a new set of coordinates. This can make it easier to solve the equations and gain insight into the behavior of the system. Additionally, canonical transformations can reveal symmetries and conserved quantities in the system.

4. What is the difference between a canonical transformation and a symplectic transformation?

A canonical transformation is a type of symplectic transformation, which is a transformation that preserves the symplectic structure of a Hamiltonian system. The symplectic structure is a mathematical structure that is necessary for the Hamiltonian equations of motion to be well-defined. A canonical transformation also preserves the Hamiltonian function, while a general symplectic transformation does not necessarily do so.

5. How can canonical transformations be used to simplify the Hamiltonian equations of motion?

By transforming a Hamiltonian system to a set of canonical coordinates, the equations of motion can often be simplified and solved more easily. In particular, canonical transformations can be used to remove terms from the Hamiltonian that are not essential for the dynamics of the system, such as constants or linear terms. This can lead to a more compact and manageable form of the equations of motion.