Can't Rearrange this equation ?

• Thread starter skaboy607
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rearrange
In summary, the student was trying to substitute one equation into another and was having difficulty. The equation they were trying to substitute into was on a whiteboard, but they were having trouble getting the right answers. They eventually figured out that they needed to cancel out the fractions on the right hand side and substituted in the easier notation.
skaboy607
Can't Rearrange this equation!??

Homework Statement

I need to substitute one equation into another and rearrange for one term. I can't get the right answer!

Homework Equations

I've had to attach the equations as pictures I am afraid, here they are.

The equation to be substituted-http://i423.photobucket.com/albums/pp315/skaboy607/Tobesubstituted.png

Main Equation-http://i423.photobucket.com/albums/pp315/skaboy607/MainEquation.png

What I can't get!-http://i423.photobucket.com/albums/pp315/skaboy607/FinalEqthatIcantget.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I have a few extra terms when I rearrange, it is driving me mad!

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Make your life easier by writing a=ms^2+Bs+K and c=Bs+K. Also write X instead of X(s) and Y instead of Y(s). Note X=aY/c. Simplify as much as you can. Then substitute a=ms^2+c and simplify some more. It works out.

ok, so far I using your easier notation I have U=cX-cY+Ms^2X, then with substitution, U=caY/c-cY+Ms^2aY/c.

Is this what you meant? I am confused now with when to put a=ms^2+c.

Thanks

You're doing it backwards from the way I did it.

First I rewrote "main equation" as U(s) = etc. Call this "new main equation."

Then I used the easier notation in "tobesubstituted", then substituted into "new main equation." Then I simplified, etc.

From time to time I looked at the goal "FinalEqthatIcantget" but I didn't start with it.

Ok so starting from scratch, my rearranged 'main equation' looks like U=Ms^2X+kX-kY+bsX-bsY. Then Substituting in the easier notationed 'tobesubstitued' I have:

U=Ms^2aY/c+kaY/c-ky+bsaY/c-bsY.

This along the right lines?

Now you've got it! It won't be long now!

I can't simplify that any further so shall I replace my values for a and c in now, then simplify?

Thanks

You've got fractions. Deal with that first.

ok...do you mean multiply both sides by c to cancel it out? I tried without getting rid of the fractions, and was stuck with the same terms again as before that I can't get rid of. This are '2kbs', '(bs)^2', 'k' and 'k^2'. If it helps this is the equation where I am at.

U=(Mms^4+Mbs^3+Mks^2+kms^2+kbs+k^2-k+mbs^3+(bs)^2+kbs-bs)Y/c

Sorry if I am being stupid!

Aha! Common denominator problem (or similar).

Early on, you should have written Y=cY/c.

erm...i'm lost, where should that have been? Wouldn't the c's cancel to leave Y=Y anyway?

skaboy607 said:
Ok so starting from scratch, my rearranged 'main equation' looks like U=Ms^2X+kX-kY+bsX-bsY. Then Substituting in the easier notationed 'tobesubstitued' I have:

U=Ms^2aY/c+kaY/c-ky+bsaY/c-bsY.

This along the right lines?

Look at right hand side. Get the common denominator here. Three terms have denominator c, but two don't.

Thanks very much for your help! Sorted it!

1. Why can't I rearrange this equation?

There are several reasons why an equation may not be able to be rearranged. One common reason is that there are multiple variables and not enough information given to solve for a specific variable. Another reason could be that the equation is not a linear equation, making it difficult to isolate one variable.

2. Can I still solve the equation without rearranging?

Yes, it is possible to solve equations without rearranging them. This can be done through substitution or using other mathematical techniques such as factoring or the quadratic formula.

3. Is there a specific method for rearranging equations?

Yes, there are several methods for rearranging equations, including using inverse operations, isolating the desired variable, and combining like terms. The best method to use depends on the specific equation and variables involved.

4. What should I do if I am stuck on rearranging an equation?

If you are having trouble rearranging an equation, try breaking it down into smaller steps and solving for one variable at a time. You can also seek help from a tutor or teacher who can provide guidance and explain the steps involved.

5. Can I rearrange any type of equation?

No, not all equations can be rearranged. Some equations, such as trigonometric or exponential equations, require specialized techniques to solve and may not be able to be rearranged in the traditional sense.