1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cantor-schroder-bernstein use in proof

1. Mar 12, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Use the berstein theorem to show: if A[itex]\subseteq[/itex]ℝ and there exists an open interval (a,b) such that (a,b)[itex]\subseteq[/itex]A, then the cardinal number of A=ℂ

2. Relevant equations
    The theorem states that if card(A)≤card(B) and card(B)≤card(A), then card(A)=card(B)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I dont know what is relevant and what the open interval (a,b) implies. I know that (a,b) is a subset of ℝ and its equivalent to ℂ, but i don't know if im supposed to prove that or what im supposed to do at all

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2012 #2
    I never used this theorem before, but I think I understand why it is used. Do you have any theorems that relate subsets to cardinalities? If [itex]A \subset B[/itex], then card(A) ? card(B).

4. Mar 12, 2012 #3
    yes if a subset b then card(a)≤card(b), aka there exists an F:A-(1-1)->B

5. Mar 12, 2012 #4
    Okay, good. I think this proof is pretty easy now, right?

You have [itex](a,b) \subseteq A[/itex], so what is true about their cardinalities? You already told us that card((a,b)) is the continuum.

You also have [itex]A \subseteq \mathbb{R}[/itex], so what is true about their cardnalities?

I think at this point you can apply the theorem to get your final line of the proof!

6. Mar 12, 2012 #5
    well i guess c=(a,b) ≤ A and A≤ R=c , but can i assume that (a,b) is equal to c?

7. Mar 12, 2012 #6
    I thought when you stated this line that you knew card((a,b)) is the continuum. Did you not prove this in a theorem yet? It turns out that card((a,b)) is the continuum, but if you didn't prove that, you might need to take a different approach.

In real analysis, that fact was one of the first thing we proved involving cardnalities, so I would assume you have that at your disposal?

8. Mar 12, 2012 #7
    i don't have that at my disposal because this is just a proof writing class, i dont know how i would prove that (a,b) is the continuum using what i know though. that is the main bit that is confusing me

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook