Capacitor dielectric question?

In summary, the voltage on a capacitor with an ionized gas dielectric can vary depending on factors such as recombination and neutralization at the electrodes. However, an ionized gas may not be suitable as a dielectric due to its conductive properties. This is similar to the principle of gaseous arrestors, where a high enough voltage can ionize the gas and create a path for current flow.
trot
How does the voltage on a capacitor vary if the dielectric is an ionised gas?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is relevant to my interests too. I want to understand this too. I can say that the ionized gas will have a force acting on it from the electric field which can cause position displacement like in an ion chamber. Because of that, you would have to consider things like recombination and neutralization at the capacitor's electrodes.

Last edited:
trot said:
How does the voltage on a capacitor vary if the dielectric is an ionised gas?
I would say an ionized gas is not suitable as a dielectric. It's a conductor, making for a very lossy dielectric. But maybe I'm missing something here?

NascentOxygen said:
I would say an ionized gas is not suitable as a dielectric. It's a conductor, making for a very lossy dielectric. But maybe I'm missing something here?

agreed

as soon as the gas ionises it will pass a current. This is the principle of how gaseous arrestors work. 2 metal plates with a gas in between, when the voltage gets high enough to ionise the gas, it will provide a path for the current to flow

Dave

The voltage on a capacitor with an ionized gas as the dielectric will vary based on the level of ionization present. As the gas becomes more ionized, the dielectric constant increases, resulting in a higher capacitance and a decrease in the voltage across the capacitor. This is because the ions in the gas act as additional charges, reducing the effective distance between the capacitor plates and increasing the electric field strength. Additionally, the presence of ions can also lead to energy losses due to ion movement, which can further impact the voltage on the capacitor. Therefore, it is important to carefully consider the level of ionization in the gas when designing and using capacitors with ionized gas as the dielectric.

What is a capacitor dielectric?

A capacitor dielectric is a material that is used to separate the conductive plates of a capacitor in order to store electric charge. It acts as an insulator to prevent the flow of current between the plates.

What are the different types of capacitor dielectrics?

The most commonly used capacitor dielectrics are ceramic, electrolytic, film, and paper. Ceramic capacitors use ceramic materials such as titanium dioxide, barium titanate, or strontium titanate. Electrolytic capacitors use an electrolyte solution as the dielectric. Film capacitors use a thin film of plastic as the dielectric. Paper capacitors use a paper dielectric with a thin layer of metal on each side.

How does the type of capacitor dielectric affect the performance of a capacitor?

The type of capacitor dielectric can affect the capacitance, voltage rating, and temperature stability of a capacitor. Each type of dielectric has different properties that make it suitable for different applications. For example, ceramic capacitors have a high capacitance and are suitable for high frequency applications, while film capacitors have a low capacitance and are suitable for high voltage applications.

What factors should be considered when choosing a capacitor dielectric?

The factors that should be considered when choosing a capacitor dielectric include the desired capacitance, voltage rating, temperature stability, frequency range, and cost. Different types of dielectrics excel in different areas, so it is important to consider the specific requirements of the application when choosing a capacitor dielectric.

Can a capacitor dielectric be changed or replaced?

In most cases, the capacitor dielectric cannot be changed or replaced. The dielectric is an integral part of the capacitor and is not designed to be replaced. However, in some specialized applications, such as high voltage capacitors, the dielectric can be replaced by a process called re-forming. This involves applying a high voltage to the capacitor to restore the dielectric properties.