Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Capacitor dielectric question?

1. Jul 3, 2012 #1
    How does the voltage on a capacitor vary if the dielectric is an ionised gas?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2012 #2
    This is relevant to my interests too. I want to understand this too. I can say that the ionized gas will have a force acting on it from the electric field which can cause position displacement like in an ion chamber. Because of that, you would have to consider things like recombination and neutralization at the capacitor's electrodes.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  4. Jul 4, 2012 #3

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

I would say an ionized gas is not suitable as a dielectric. It's a conductor, making for a very lossy dielectric. But maybe I'm missing something here?

5. Jul 4, 2012 #4

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

agreed

as soon as the gas ionises it will pass a current. This is the principle of how gaseous arrestors work. 2 metal plates with a gas in between, when the voltage gets high enough to ionise the gas, it will provide a path for the current to flow

Dave

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook