Capacitors needed when using an audio amplifier?

• Thread starter toasterman
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hello,
I am using this little audio amplifier with my Maximite computer: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MQ44KLP/?tag=pfamazon01-20
I know that it's a best practice to use capacitors on the audio output from amplifier chips to filter out any extra DC current. I am under the impression that the capacitors on this amplifier circuit will take care of that. Is this true, or should I use capacitors on the output pins also?

Thank you.

Answers and Replies

I know that it's a best practice to use capacitors on the audio output from amplifier chips to filter out any extra DC current.

Thank you.
I wouldn't call it best practice, more a necessary evil if you don't have split supply rails.

Given the choice you would do balanced supply and have an output stage that does not have appreciable DC off set since DC blocking capacitors have to be huge to not impact the output impedance at low (bass) frequencies and need to have obnoxious ripple current ratings for anything more than a few W of output power.

The TDA2822 is single ended supply, so it would need them unless you run it in bridge mode, they look like they are on the PCB already!

davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
Is this true, or should I use capacitors on the output pins also?
no extra ones required

I believe the capacitors you require are mounted on that PCB.
https://www.electroschematics.com/4375/tda-2822-stereo-amplifier/

Agreed, yes they are :smile:

I wouldn't call it best practice, more a necessary evil if you don't have split supply rails.

No, they are essential

Given the choice you would do balanced supply and have an output stage that does not have appreciable DC off set since DC blocking capacitors have to be huge to not impact the output impedance at low (bass) frequencies and need to have obnoxious ripple current ratings for anything more than a few W of output power.
not to mention not letting DC pass to the speaker(s) which is a bad thing