Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Car Truck Collisins w/ ANGLES

1. Oct 7, 2011 #1
    Car Truck Collisins w/ ANGLES!!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A blue car with mass mc = 431 kg is moving east with a speed of vc = 19 m/s and collides with a purple truck with mass mt = 1298 kg that is moving south with a speed of vt = 12 m/s . The two collide and lock together after the collision.

2. Relevant equations
    What is the angle that the car-truck combination travel after the collision? (give your answer as an angle South of East

3. The attempt at a solution

I have no idea, something to do with adding the vectors. I just dont know how to incorporate the angle

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2011 #2

PeterO

Homework Helper

Re: Car Truck Collisins w/ ANGLES!!

You will be adding the momentum vectors - so start by using mass and velocity for each vehicle to get the momentum of each.

NOTE: These questions are really frustrating in the masses used [not your fault].
    The minimum weight of a Formula 1 racing car [a glorified go-cart] is 640 kg. The idea of having a car of mass 431 kg is fanciful.
    A modern Small car has a mass around 1000 kg, and even a small truck will have a mass around 3000 kg.

4. Oct 8, 2011 #3

Which principle do you think we usually use in a collision problem?

5. Oct 8, 2011 #4

I'm assuming that was rhetorical. :P

I think you should just find the resultant of the momentum vectors, and then arctan[(y-component)/(x-component)] (components of resultant) should give you the angle.

6. Oct 8, 2011 #5

I was encouraging the original poster to a better attemp!

7. Oct 8, 2011 #6

Right. Sorry.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook