1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Car Truck Collisins w/ ANGLES

1. Oct 7, 2011 #1
    Car Truck Collisins w/ ANGLES!!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A blue car with mass mc = 431 kg is moving east with a speed of vc = 19 m/s and collides with a purple truck with mass mt = 1298 kg that is moving south with a speed of vt = 12 m/s . The two collide and lock together after the collision.

2. Relevant equations
    What is the angle that the car-truck combination travel after the collision? (give your answer as an angle South of East

3. The attempt at a solution

I have no idea, something to do with adding the vectors. I just dont know how to incorporate the angle

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2011 #2

PeterO

Homework Helper

Re: Car Truck Collisins w/ ANGLES!!

You will be adding the momentum vectors - so start by using mass and velocity for each vehicle to get the momentum of each.

NOTE: These questions are really frustrating in the masses used [not your fault].
    The minimum weight of a Formula 1 racing car [a glorified go-cart] is 640 kg. The idea of having a car of mass 431 kg is fanciful.
    A modern Small car has a mass around 1000 kg, and even a small truck will have a mass around 3000 kg.

4. Oct 8, 2011 #3

Which principle do you think we usually use in a collision problem?

5. Oct 8, 2011 #4

I'm assuming that was rhetorical. :P

I think you should just find the resultant of the momentum vectors, and then arctan[(y-component)/(x-component)] (components of resultant) should give you the angle.

6. Oct 8, 2011 #5

I was encouraging the original poster to a better attemp!

7. Oct 8, 2011 #6

Right. Sorry.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook