Carbon-14 Dating: Where to Begin?

• Thread starter Kmcquiggan
  • Start date
In summary, the half life of carbon-14 is 6000 years. The problem with trying to calculate the time of death of the Iceman is that he has gone through 1/2 of the radioactive decay cycle. So, if he had only 25% of the carbon-14 left, his time of death would be 2/5ths of the way through the cycle or 12,000 years ago.
Kmcquiggan
Homework Statement
Carbon-14 testing on the body of Iceman showed that the level of carbon-14 was at 52%. In approximate what year did he die?
Relevant Equations
There is no equations that were given, the only information that was supplied was he was found in 1991.
I had tried to come up with a formula that would help me figure it out, but I honestly am not sure where to begin. In my book it states that the carbon-14 half life is 6000 years. ( I have read somewhere else that it is 5730 but I am using 6000 as that is what was supplied)
so the only thing i could come up with is nothing that made any sense. If some one could help me where to look or start that would be great

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the meaning of half-life? What happens to the original sample after one half life has elapsed?

It means that you can use this method of radiocarbon dating to approx time an organism died. So every 6000 years half of the carbon is gone.

Kmcquiggan said:
It means that you can use this method of radiocarbon dating to approx time an organism died. So every 6000 years half of the carbon is gone.
You meant to say that half of the carbon 14 is gone, of course. So how much of the carbon 14 in the Iceman's body is gone in this case?

Last edited:
48%

Kmcquiggan said:
48%
Which as a fraction translates to what, approximately?

48/6000 ? he was alive 2880 years before 1991?

Nope. 48% means 48 out of 100, not 48 out of 6000. Try again, to one significant figure what is 48%?

Good. Now go back and read your post #3. Can you put it together with post #10?

So he died approx 3000 years before 1991? Thats it? I was thinking i needed more a technical answer

Kmcquiggan said:
So he died approx 3000 years before 1991? Thats it? I was thinking i needed more a technical answer
This is technical enough. The problem is asking for an approximate answer that this line of reasoning can provide. However, the Iceman did not die approximately 3000 years before 1991. Think of it this way, if approximately 50% of C-14 is left, how many half-lives have elapsed since he died? To what number of years does that number translate if one half life is 6000 years?

Last edited:
what about if I did it this way. If you lose 50% every 6000 years that means you would lose 1% every 120 years. So if he lost 48% as there is 52% remaining does that mean I can take 48 %* 120 years which then means he died 5760 years ago in 1991 when he was found?

Kmcquiggan said:
what about if I did it this way. If you lose 50% every 6000 years that means you would lose 1% every 120 years.
That is incorrect thinking, you are applying a linear interpolation over a period of a half-life which is unnecessary and incorrect. According to your reasoning, in the next 6000 years after 1991 there will be no carbon-14 left if it is gone at the rate of 1% per 120 years. Actually, 6000 years after 1991 there will be left approximately half of what there was in 1991 or 25%.

Last edited:
So the iceman has gone through approx 1 full stage of half life carbon cycle. So he was alive approx 6000 years before 1991? and then using that thinking if he had only 25 % percent carbon 14 than he would have lived 2 half life cycles which would mean he was alive 12000 years? am i getting it now?

Kmcquiggan said:
So the iceman has gone through approx 1 full stage of half life carbon cycle. So he was alive approx 6000 years before 1991? and then using that thinking if he had only 25 % percent carbon 14 than he would have lived 2 half life cycles which would mean he was alive 12000 years? am i getting it now?
You got it now. :oldsmile: In radioactive decay problems it is handy to think in terms of the half-life because it is the "natural" time unit for the decaying system as opposed to the year (time required for the Earth to go around the Sun) that has no relation to the decaying system. Once you solve the problem in terms of half lives, you can always convert them back to years, minutes, seconds, etc.

Thank you so much for helping me. I understand now!

1. How does carbon-14 dating work?

Carbon-14 dating, also known as radiocarbon dating, is a method used to determine the age of organic materials based on the decay of a radioactive isotope of carbon, carbon-14. Carbon-14 is constantly being formed in the Earth's atmosphere, and when living organisms absorb carbon through photosynthesis or consumption, they also absorb a small amount of carbon-14. As the organism dies, the carbon-14 begins to decay at a predictable rate, and by measuring the remaining amount of carbon-14 in a sample, scientists can calculate the age of the sample.

2. How accurate is carbon-14 dating?

Carbon-14 dating has a relatively high level of accuracy, with a margin of error of about ±40-50 years for samples that are around 10,000 years old. However, the accuracy decreases for older samples due to the decreasing amount of carbon-14 in the sample and potential contamination from other sources. In general, carbon-14 dating is accurate up to around 50,000 years.

3. What types of materials can be dated using carbon-14 dating?

Carbon-14 dating can only be used on organic materials, such as plants and animals, as they absorb carbon from the atmosphere. In some cases, inorganic materials containing carbon, such as shells or bones, can also be dated if they are found in association with organic materials.

4. How is carbon-14 dating different from other dating methods?

Carbon-14 dating is unique because it is based on the decay of a radioactive isotope, while other dating methods, such as dendrochronology (tree-ring dating) and potassium-argon dating, are based on the measurement of stable isotopes. Carbon-14 dating is also limited to relatively recent history, while other dating methods can be used for much older materials.

5. Can carbon-14 dating be used to date anything other than organic materials?

No, carbon-14 dating can only be used on organic materials because it relies on the presence of carbon and the absorption of carbon-14 from the atmosphere. Inorganic materials, such as rocks and minerals, cannot be dated using carbon-14 dating.