Carbon sequestration, how does it work? Is it practical?

In summary, the person seems to be asking if there are any issues that aren't addressed by online research.
clurt
TL;DR Summary
Carbon sequestration to mitigate the impact of carbon emissions into the earths atmosphere
Hi All,

I understand carbon sequestration in the simplest sense is capturing and storing carbon.

As seen in the title, I'm going to split this into two sections.

i) How does it work?

I imagine that trees, in a sense are doing this. They take in the carbon from our atmosphere and is stored in their biomass.

For us, how is carbon sequestration carried out?
- What is the process?
- What is the mechanism, with an example?
- How much energy does the process use? Is it thirsty?

ii) Can this be carried out on the industrial level.

Serious question, can we capture carbon being emitted by trains, buses, ships and other machines?
Can we capture the carbon being produced at coal and gas plants?
Not sure what can and cannot be shared regarding climate change, but below is a good start ;)
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=carbon+sequestration

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Have you done ANY research on this or were you hoping we'd do it for you?

Wikipedia's article seems to do a decent job.

hmmm27 said:
Wikipedia's article seems to do a decent job.
As he would have found out had he made even a trivial effort.

@clurt my point here is that even with only 28 posts, I would expect that you would know by now that this is not a Q&A forum where you just ask a question and somebody gives you an answer. There are plenty of those around, but this isn't one of them; here folks are expected to make at least some effort on their own before asking others.

Last edited:
Likes Dragrath, Bystander, hmmm27 and 1 other person
I'm curious if he/she has found an issue that isn't reasonably addressed by a cursory search, online.

hmmm27 said:
I'm curious if he/she has found an issue that isn't reasonably addressed by a cursory search, online.

If he did, wouldn't it be better to ask that question?

Likes jim mcnamara

1. What is carbon sequestration?

Carbon sequestration is a process that involves capturing and storing carbon dioxide (CO2) from the atmosphere in order to mitigate the effects of climate change. This can be done through various methods such as storing CO2 in underground geological formations, using it to enhance oil recovery, or converting it into solid forms that can be stored long-term.

2. How does carbon sequestration work?

Carbon sequestration works by capturing CO2 emissions from industrial processes or power plants and storing them in a secure location, preventing them from entering the atmosphere. This can be done through a variety of techniques such as carbon capture and storage (CCS), which involves capturing CO2 from power plants and storing it in underground reservoirs.

3. Is carbon sequestration practical?

Yes, carbon sequestration is a practical solution for reducing CO2 emissions and mitigating the effects of climate change. However, it is not a standalone solution and should be used in conjunction with other strategies such as transitioning to renewable energy sources and reducing overall carbon emissions.

4. What are the benefits of carbon sequestration?

The benefits of carbon sequestration include reducing the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere, mitigating the effects of climate change, and potentially creating new industries and job opportunities. It also allows industries to continue using fossil fuels while reducing their carbon footprint.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to carbon sequestration?

Some potential drawbacks of carbon sequestration include the high cost of implementing and maintaining the technology, the potential for CO2 leakage from storage sites, and the fact that it does not address the root cause of carbon emissions. Additionally, some methods of carbon sequestration may have negative impacts on the environment and local communities.