Cardinalities of any two sets are comparable.

• MHB
  • Thread starter caffeinemachine
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sets
In summary, Let $\mathcal C$ be the set of all ordered triples $(A,B,f)$ such that $A\subseteq X, B\subseteq Y$ and that $f$ is an injection from $A$ to $B$. We order $\mathcal C$ in the following way: $(A_1,B_1,f_1)\leq(A_2,B_2,f_2)$ if $A_1\subseteq A_2$, $B_1\subseteq B_2$ and the restriction of $f_2$ to $A_1$ is same as $f_1$. Then, by Zorn's Lemma, $\mathcal C$ has a maximal element, say
caffeinemachine
Gold Member
MHB
Let $X$ and $Y$ be any two sets. Show by using Zorn's Lemma (or anything equivalent to it) that there is an injection of one into the other.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
caffeinemachine said:
Let $X$ and $Y$ be any two sets. Show by using Zorn's Lemma (or anything equivalent to it) that there is an injection of one into the other.

Erm... suppose we pick X={1,2} and Y={1}, then there is no injection...? :confused:

caffeinemachine said:
Let $\mathcal{F}$ be the set of bijective maps of the form $f:D(f)\to R(f)$ with domain $D(f)\subseteq X$ and range $R(f)\subseteq Y$, made into a partially ordered set by the relation $f\prec g\; \Longleftrightarrow\; \{D(f)\subset D(g) \text{ and } g(x) = f(x)\; \forall x\in D(f)\}$. Show that $\mathcal{F}$ satisfies the conditions for Zorn's Lemma, and then check that a maximal element is either an injection from $X$ to $Y$ or the inverse of an injection from $Y$ to $X$.

I think the idea is to start with one of them, say, X and use the axiom of choice to remove elements of Y one by one, for each element of X. If you remove them all and use all the elements of X, it's a bijection. If you only remove part of Y with all the elements of X, the choice function is an injection. Finaly, if you remove all the elements of Y, but don't use all X, the inverse of that choice function is an injection of Y into X.

I like Serena said:
Erm... suppose we pick X={1,2} and Y={1}, then there is no injection...? :confused:

Yes there is.. from Y to X ;)

Just to point out that ModusPonens's suggestion and mine are essentially the same. In both cases, the idea is to pair off elements of $X$ with elements of $Y$ until you run out of further choices (in one space or the other). As usual in such proofs, you can make the argument rigorous by using either Zorn or Choice, according to taste.

I like Serena said:
I think there is a trivial injection from $Y$ to $X$. Take $f:Y\to X$ as $f(1)=1$.

Opalg said:
Let $\mathcal{F}$ be the set of bijective maps of the form $f: D(f)\to R(f)$ with domain $D(f)\subseteq X$ and range $R(f)\subseteq Y$, made into a partially ordered set by the relation $f\prec g\; \Longleftrightarrow\; \{D(f)\subset D(g) \text{ and } g(x) = f(x)\; \forall x\in D(f)\}$. Show that $\mathcal{F}$ satisfies the conditions for Zorn's Lemma, and then check that a maximal element is either an injection from $X$ to $Y$ or the inverse of an injection from $Y$ to $X$.

I started out this way myself but I could not complete the proof. May be I am missing something simple. Here's my proof:

Let $\mathcal C$ be the collection of all ordered triples $(A,B,f)$ such that $A\subseteq X, B\subseteq Y$ and that $f$ is an injection from $A$ to $B$. We order $\mathcal C$ in the folloewing way. Let $(A_1,B_1,f_1)$ and $(A_2,B_2,f_2)$ be two elements of $\mathcal C$. Then we write $(A_1,B_1,f_1)\leq(A_2,B_2,f_2)$ if $A_1\subseteq A_2$, $B_1\subseteq B_2$ and the restriction of $f_2$ to $A_1$ is same as $f_1$. Now let $C=\{(A_\alpha,B_\alpha,f_\alpha)\}_{\alpha\in J}$ be any chain in $\mathcal C$, where $J$ is an index set. Define $A=\bigcup_{\alpha\in J}A_\alpha$ and $B=\bigcup_{\alpha\in J}B_\alpha$. Consider a function $f:A\to B$ defined as $f(a)=f_\alpha(a)$ if $a\in A_\alpha$.

Claim 1: $f$ is well defined.
Proof: Let $a\in A$ be such that $a\in A_\alpha$ and $a\in A_\beta$. We need to show that $f_\alpha(a)=f_\beta(a)$. Since $C$ is a chian, WLOG assume that $A_\alpha\subseteq A_\beta$. Then the restriction of $f_\beta$ to $A_\alpha$ is same as $f_\alpha$. Thus $f_\beta(a)=f_\alpha(a)$ and the claim is settled.

Claim 2: $(A,B,f)$ is in $\mathcal C$.
Proof: Clearly $A\subseteq X$ and $B\subseteq Y$. We just need to show that $f$ is an injection. Let $f(p)=f(q)$ for some $p,q\in A$. Say $p\in A_\gamma$ and $q\in A_\delta$. WLOG assume that $A_\gamma\subseteq A_\delta$. Then $f(p)=f_\delta(p)=f_\delta(q)\Rightarrow p=q$ by the injectivity of $f_\delta$.

Claim 3: $(A,B,f)$ is an upper bound of $C$.
Proof: Let $(A_\alpha,B_\alpha,f_\alpha)$ be any element of $C$. Clearly $A_\alpha\subseteq A$ and $B_\alpha\subseteq B$. We need to show that the restriction of $f$ to $A_\alpha$ is same as $f_\alpha$. But this is evident by the definition of $f$ and hecne the claim is settled.

Now by Zorn's Lemma, $\mathcal C$ has a maximal element.
Say the maximal element is $(A_0,B_0,f_0)$. If $A_0=X$ then we are done. So assume $A_0\neq X$. Now if $B_0\neq Y$ then we can easily find an element in $\mathcal C$ which is greater than $(A_0,B_0,f_0)$ and we would run into a contradiction. Thus $B_0=Y$. From here its not easy to see that $f_0^{-1}:Y\to X$ is an injection and the proof is complete.

Last edited by a moderator:
caffeinemachine said:
$\vdots$

Now by Zorn's Lemma, $\mathcal C$ has a maximal element.
Say the maximal element is $(A_0,B_0,f_0)$. If $A_0=X$ then we are done. So assume $A_0\neq X$. Now if $B_0\neq Y$ then we can easily find an element in $\mathcal C$ which is greater than $(A_0,B_0,f_0)$ and we would run into a contradiction. Thus $B_0=Y$. From here its not easy to see that $f_0^{-1}:Y\to X$ is an injection and the proof is complete.
I think you need to define $\mathcal C$ from the start to consist of triples $(A,B,f)$ such that $A\subseteq X$, $B\subseteq Y$ and that $f$ is an injection from $A$ onto $B$. (You will need to check that this surjective property is preserved by upper bounds of chains.) Then if $(A_0,B_0,f_0)$ satisfies $B_0=Y$, that means that $f_0$ is a bijection from $A_0$ onto $Y$, and so $f_0^{-1}$ is a bijection from $Y$ onto $A_0\subseteq X$.

Opalg said:
I think you need to define $\mathcal C$ from the start to consist of triples $(A,B,f)$ such that $A\subseteq X$, $B\subseteq Y$ and that $f$ is an injection from $A$ onto $B$. (You will need to check that this surjective property is preserved by upper bounds of chains.) Then if $(A_0,B_0,f_0)$ satisfies $B_0=Y$, that means that $f_0$ is a bijection from $A_0$ onto $Y$, and so $f_0^{-1}$ is a bijection from $Y$ onto $A_0\subseteq X$.

I guess including the "onto" clause will simplify the proof a bit. I have not checked the details though.

I think my proof is correct too. Isn't it?

Also, can you give some details of your proof in which you don't require triples but only pairs which seems to be considerably simpler than mine.

caffeinemachine said:
I guess including the "onto" clause will simplify the proof a bit. I have not checked the details though.

I think my proof is correct too. Isn't it?

Also, can you give some details of your proof in which you don't require triples but only pairs which seems to be considerably simpler than mine.
Your proof is fine – I was just tying up the loose ends where you said that you could not complete the proof.

I don't see what you mean by using pairs rather than triples. My proof used the triples $(f,D(f),R(f))$, just like yours. And the only reason that my proof "seems to be considerably simpler" is that I left out all the details for you to fill in, which you have done.

Opalg said:
Your proof is fine – I was just tying up the loose ends where you said that you could not complete the proof.

I don't see what you mean by using pairs rather than triples. My proof used the triples $(f,D(f),R(f))$, just like yours. And the only reason that my proof "seems to be considerably simpler" is that I left out all the details for you to fill in, which you have done.
Oh. Now I see. Actually this problem is there in Simmon's 'Introduction to Topology and Modern Analysis' in which the author has given a hint which just uses pairs and not triples and I still don't know how to do it on those lines.

Anyway, thanks for taking part in this challenge thread. Your posts are invaluable.

Related to Cardinalities of any two sets are comparable.

What does it mean for the cardinalities of two sets to be comparable?

When we say that the cardinalities of two sets are comparable, it means that we can determine whether one set has more elements than the other or if they have the same number of elements. In other words, it is possible to establish a one-to-one correspondence between the elements of the two sets, allowing us to compare their sizes.

How do you compare the cardinalities of two sets?

To compare the cardinalities of two sets, we can use a one-to-one mapping function between the elements of the sets. This means that we can pair up each element in one set with a unique element in the other set. If all elements in both sets can be paired up without any leftover elements, then the cardinalities are equal. Otherwise, if there are leftover elements in one set, then it has more elements and its cardinality is larger.

Is it possible for two sets with different cardinalities to be comparable?

Yes, it is possible for two sets with different cardinalities to be comparable. As long as there exists a one-to-one mapping between the elements of the two sets, we can compare their sizes. For example, the set of natural numbers and the set of even numbers have different cardinalities, but we can still compare them by pairing each natural number with its corresponding even number (1 with 2, 2 with 4, 3 with 6, etc.).

What is the significance of comparing the cardinalities of two sets?

Comparing the cardinalities of two sets allows us to understand the sizes of these sets and how they relate to each other. It helps us determine if one set is larger or smaller than the other, and if there are any similarities or differences between the two sets. This information can be useful in various fields such as mathematics, computer science, and statistics.

Are there any limitations to comparing the cardinalities of two sets?

Yes, there are some limitations to comparing the cardinalities of two sets. One limitation is that we can only compare the sizes of sets that have a finite number of elements. This means that we cannot compare the cardinalities of infinite sets, such as the set of all real numbers. Additionally, comparing cardinalities does not provide any information about the elements themselves, only their quantity.