Cardinality of a subset of [0,1]

In summary: Yes, your argument doesn't work. All you've shown is that you failed at your first attempt at finding a bijection between N and the set. Perhaps if you were more clever, you could find such a bijection.
ribbon

Homework Statement

What is the cardinality of the set of all numbers in the interval [0, 1] which
have decimal expansions with a finite number of non-zero digits?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I say its still c? Am I correct, there is no way I can pair this set with the natural numbers.

Define
f(1) = 0.1
f(2) = 0.02
f(3) = 0.003
f(4) = 0.0004
But then we must pair elements of N to 0.2, 0.3, 0.4... and 0.03, 0.04, 0.05, and 0.004, 0.005,...

This seems weak though no?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your set is a subset of ##\mathbb{Q}##, isn't it?

Likes 1 person
@Ribbon: Your argument doesn't make any sense to me. You seem to be arguing that there are a countable number of sets equinumerous with the naturals. Is this what you are doing and what are you trying to achieve by it?

hi ribbon! :smile:
ribbon said:
…, there is no way I can pair this set with the natural numbers.

hint: can you pair the set of all numbers with two non-zero digits with the natural numbers? :wink:

Likes 1 person
ribbon said:
I say its still c? Am I correct, there is no way I can pair this set with the natural numbers.

Define
f(1) = 0.1
f(2) = 0.02
f(3) = 0.003
f(4) = 0.0004
But then we must pair elements of N to 0.2, 0.3, 0.4... and 0.03, 0.04, 0.05, and 0.004, 0.005,...

Yes, your argument doesn't work. All you've shown is that you failed at your first attempt at finding a bijection between N and the set. Perhaps if you were more clever, you could find such a bijection.

tiny-tim said:

hint: can you pair the set of all numbers with two non-zero digits with the natural numbers? :wink:

Could I go,
f(1) = 0.11
f(2) = 0.12
f(3) = 0.13

and skip numbers like 0.2, 0.3? But then what happens to all the numbers in between I'm missing?

micromass said:
Your set is a subset of ##\mathbb{Q}##, isn't it?

It seems so, but the unit interval has cardinality c and at first glance it appeared to me that we were excluding a finite set from an infinite one, and if I am not mistaken with cardinal arithmetic, c would remain the cardinality. But it seems to be otherwise now.

tiny-tim said:

Hey Tiny, what happened to your fish avatar? Did he try to swim through a screen?

ribbon said:
Could I go,
f(1) = 0.11
f(2) = 0.12
f(3) = 0.13

and skip numbers like 0.2, 0.3? But then what happens to all the numbers in between I'm missing?

but you're not even trying to count any numbers with more than 2 decimal places! :rolleyes:

try again, but with binary numbers (instead of decimals), it's easier :smile:
LCKurtz said:
Hey Tiny, what happened to your fish avatar? Did he try to swim through a screen?

it wasn't a proper underwater camera! :redface:

tiny-tim said:
but you're not even trying to count any numbers with more than 2 decimal places! :rolleyes:

try again, but with binary numbers (instead of decimals), it's easier :smile:

it wasn't a proper underwater camera! :redface:

Hmm, ok well could the sequence be 0.1, 0.101, 0.010101... till I hit that n (n being the finite number of non zero digits?

ribbon said:
It seems so, but the unit interval has cardinality c and at first glance it appeared to me that we were excluding a finite set from an infinite one, and if I am not mistaken with cardinal arithmetic, c would remain the cardinality.

So, have you just walked away from the thread where we were discussing that topic?

ribbon said:
It seems so, but the unit interval has cardinality c and at first glance it appeared to me that we were excluding a finite set from an infinite one

Your set is infinite: if [itex]x[/itex] is in that set, then so is [itex]10^{-n}x[/itex] for all [itex]n \in \mathbb{N}[/itex]. Adding any number of zeroes to the beginning of the decimal expansion does not change the number of non-zero digits in the expansion.

ribbon said:

Homework Statement

What is the cardinality of the set of all numbers in the interval [0, 1] which
have decimal expansions with a finite number of non-zero digits?
You do not recognize this as the subset of all rational numbers whose denominators have only powers of 2 and powers of 5 as factors? If [tex]x= 0.a_1a_2\cdot\cdot\cdot a_n[/tex] has only "n" non-zero digits, then [tex]10^nx= a_1a_2\cdot\cdot\cdot a_n[/tex] and, finally, [tex]x= \frac{a_1a_2\cdot\cdot\cdot a_n}{10^n}[/tex]. You may be able to do a lot of "cancelling" to reduce the denominator but 10= 2(5) so there will never be any factors other than "5" or "2" in the denominator.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Define
f(1) = 0.1
f(2) = 0.02
f(3) = 0.003
f(4) = 0.0004

Likes 1 person

1. What is the meaning of "cardinality" in mathematics?

In mathematics, cardinality refers to the number of elements in a set. It is a measure of the size or magnitude of a set.

2. How is the cardinality of a set determined?

The cardinality of a set is determined by counting the number of distinct elements in the set. This can be done by listing out the elements or using other methods such as set operations or mathematical formulas.

3. What is the cardinality of a subset?

A subset is a set that contains elements of another set. The cardinality of a subset is the number of elements in the subset.

4. How is the cardinality of a subset of [0,1] calculated?

The cardinality of a subset of [0,1] can be calculated by counting the number of elements in the subset. For example, if the subset contains the elements 0.2, 0.4, and 0.6, the cardinality of the subset would be 3.

5. Can the cardinality of a subset of [0,1] be infinite?

Yes, the cardinality of a subset of [0,1] can be infinite if the subset contains an infinite number of elements. For example, the subset [0,1] itself has an infinite cardinality as it contains an infinite number of decimal numbers between 0 and 1.