What is the Cardinality of Multiple Cross Products?

In summary, the conversation discussed the cardinality of the Natural numbers being aleph null and the cross product of sets also having a cardinality of aleph null. It was concluded that for any finite number of cross products, the cardinality would still be aleph null. However, for a countably infinite number of times, there is an isomorphism between the cross product and the real numbers between 0 and 1, making the cardinality at least as big as the reals. The possibility of the set being bigger than the reals was also discussed, with the conclusion that it is of equal size. The conversation also mentioned the use of induction and mapping to prove the cardinality of the cross product.
Ignea_unda
Since Tex is giving me a hard time this question is going to be a lot more undeveloped than it was going to be. We were discussing in class the cardinality of the Natural numbers being aleph null and that the cross product was also of cardinality aleph null. Is it true then that:

[tex]|\textbf{N} \times \textbf{N} \times \ldots \times \textbf{N}| = \aleph_0[/tex]

For any finite number of cross products?

Is it true for a countably infinite number of times? If not, why not?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean direct product? If so, then the answer is yes.

We can do this by induction and by using the definition of [tex]\mathbb{N} \times \cdots \times \mathbb{N}[/tex].

(N x ... x N) is a product of k sets with cardinality aleph-null.

This is equal to (N x N) x ... x N, which, given the fact that the product of 2 sets with cardinality aleph-null has cardinality aleph-null, means that N x ... x N is a product of k-1 sets with cardinality aleph-null. Keep going. You'll eventually reach the case where we can conclude that N x ... x N is a product of 2 sets with cardinality aleph-null and therefore must have cardinality aleph-null by induction assumption.

Last edited:
As for a countable number of times, there is an obvious one-to-one correspondence between {XN}countable times} and the real numbers between 0 and 1: the countable ordered list (a1, a2, a3, ...) is mapped to the decimal number 0.a1a2a3...

(a1, a2, etc. are, of course, not single digits but they are finite "lists" of decimals. Just append them: (1233, 2343, 0, 232,... ) is mapped to 0.123323430232...)

How about this continued fraction (x_1 + 2, x_2 + 2, x_3 + 2, ...)?

phreak said:
Do you mean direct product? If so, then the answer is yes.

Yes, I did, my apologies on my wording.

This is equal to (N x N) x ... x N, which, given the fact that the product of 2 sets with cardinality aleph-null has cardinality aleph-null, means that N x ... x N is a product of k-1 sets with cardinality aleph-null. Keep going. You'll eventually reach the case where we can conclude that N x ... x N is a product of 2 sets with cardinality aleph-null and therefore must have cardinality aleph-null by induction assumption.

Isn't (N x N) x N = {((n_1,n_2),n_3 | n_i in N} different from {(n_1, n_2, n_3) | n_i is in N}?

Yes, but there is an obvious isomorphism.

HallsofIvy said:
As for a countable number of times, there is an obvious one-to-one correspondence between {XN}countable times} and the real numbers between 0 and 1: the countable ordered list (a1, a2, a3, ...) is mapped to the decimal number 0.a1a2a3...

(a1, a2, etc. are, of course, not single digits but they are finite "lists" of decimals. Just append them: (1233, 2343, 0, 232,... ) is mapped to 0.123323430232...)

What does one do then with (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, ...) and (123, 456, 789, ...) where the successive terms are the exact same. The decimals would be the same, the method you referred to. Does one need to put a labeling of some sort before each ai, say ci delineating how many digits are between each comma?

And thank you for your point out the isomorphism--it was not obvious to me at first.

Ignea_unda said:
What does one do then with (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, ...) and (123, 456, 789, ...) where the successive terms are the exact same. The decimals would be the same, the method you referred to. Does one need to put a labeling of some sort before each ai, say ci delineating how many digits are between each comma?

And thank you for your point out the isomorphism--it was not obvious to me at first.

Also (0, 9, 9, 9, ...) and (1, 0, 0, 0, ...) map to the same number 0.1.

However Ivy's argument still shows that the set is at least as big as the reals, since the mapping is onto.

Is the set bigger than the reals?

bpet said:
Also (0, 9, 9, 9, ...) and (1, 0, 0, 0, ...) map to the same number 0.1.

However Ivy's argument still shows that the set is at least as big as the reals, since the mapping is onto.

Is the set bigger than the reals?

I would actually disagree--the mapping would then not be a function, which is the whole goal.

But either way, I realized my mistake. The proof then comes from selecting ai from the matrix..etc. I forgot and didn't realize how it would be different. I can see now. Thank you HallsofIvy for getting me straightened out. (I know that I'm a little slow/tedious sometimes).

And as for your question, they would be of the same size. The mapping would be 1-1 and onto and would have equal number of elements.

I would actually disagree--the mapping would then not be a function, which is the whole goal.

Step outside of set theory for a minute and remember that there are functions besides injections :p

Ignea_unda said:
It is a function. It is not a "one-to-one" function.

Sorry. Somehow got it into my mind that it was going backwards. I apologize. I'm sorry I get turned around so easily.

What is the cardinality of a cross product?

The cardinality of a cross product is equal to the product of the cardinalities of the sets involved. In other words, if set A has m elements and set B has n elements, then the cardinality of their cross product is m x n.

How do you calculate the cardinality of a cross product?

To calculate the cardinality of a cross product, simply multiply the number of elements in each set. For example, if set A has 3 elements and set B has 5 elements, then their cross product would have a cardinality of 3 x 5 = 15.

What is the cardinality of a cross product of two infinite sets?

If both sets involved in the cross product are infinite, then the cardinality of their cross product is equal to the cardinality of the larger set. This is because the cross product will still contain all elements from both sets, even if one set has an infinite amount of elements.

Can the cardinality of a cross product be smaller than the cardinality of its individual sets?

No, the cardinality of a cross product will always be equal to or greater than the cardinality of its individual sets. This is because the cross product will contain all possible combinations of elements from the two sets, which will be at least equal to the number of elements in each set.

How does the cardinality of a cross product change with more sets?

The cardinality of a cross product will increase exponentially with each additional set involved. For example, the cardinality of a cross product of three sets A, B, and C would be equal to the product of the cardinalities of all three sets: |A x B x C| = |A| x |B| x |C|.