1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cardinality of this Set?

1. Jul 12, 2011 #1
    S is the set containing all 2x2 invertible matrices such that the entries come from the the set {0,1,2}. What is the cardinality(number of elements) of this set?

I got 50. Is this correct? What is the best way to go about solving this problem?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2011 #2
    One way to solve it might be to use the determinant ab-cd where a, b, c, and d, come from the set {0, 1, 2}. Figure out which allows for invertibility, and then how many ways you can get that value for the determinant.

4. Jul 12, 2011 #3
    Uh I got 42 this way. What's the answer?

5. Jul 12, 2011 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What have you tried?

Show some of your work.

Explain some of your thinking.

6. Jul 12, 2011 #5
    OK! first i tried enumerating the non-degenrate matrices by counting the number of matrices which had one 0 then two 0s then one 1 and no 0s and then two 1s no 0s and last 3 1s and no 0s. I got 50.

Then I looked at all the values the determinant could take (-4 to 4?) and counted the number of matrices which gave the particular value of the determinant. I got 42.

THEN i wrote a program to count the number of degenerate matrices. I got 50. So 50?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook