Cardinality of Set S with 2x2 Invertible Matrices from {0,1,2}?

In summary, the conversation discusses the cardinality of a set S, which contains all 2x2 invertible matrices with entries from the set {0,1,2}. Different methods of solving this problem are suggested, including using the determinant and enumerating non-degenerate matrices. The final answer found through various methods is 50.
Oster
S is the set containing all 2x2 invertible matrices such that the entries come from the the set {0,1,2}. What is the cardinality(number of elements) of this set?

I got 50. Is this correct? What is the best way to go about solving this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
One way to solve it might be to use the determinant ab-cd where a, b, c, and d, come from the set {0, 1, 2}. Figure out which allows for invertibility, and then how many ways you can get that value for the determinant.

Uh I got 42 this way. What's the answer?

What have you tried?

Show some of your work.

Explain some of your thinking.

OK! first i tried enumerating the non-degenrate matrices by counting the number of matrices which had one 0 then two 0s then one 1 and no 0s and then two 1s no 0s and last 3 1s and no 0s. I got 50.

Then I looked at all the values the determinant could take (-4 to 4?) and counted the number of matrices which gave the particular value of the determinant. I got 42.

THEN i wrote a program to count the number of degenerate matrices. I got 50. So 50?

What is cardinality?

Cardinality is a mathematical concept that refers to the number of elements in a set or group. It is often denoted by the symbol "| |" or "card".

How is cardinality determined?

The cardinality of a set is determined by counting the number of distinct elements in the set. Each element is only counted once, regardless of how many times it appears in the set.

What is the difference between finite and infinite cardinality?

Finite cardinality refers to a set that has a specific, countable number of elements, while infinite cardinality refers to a set with an uncountable number of elements. For example, the set of all counting numbers has infinite cardinality.

Can two sets have the same cardinality?

Yes, two sets can have the same cardinality if they contain the same number of elements. For example, the set of even numbers and the set of multiples of 3 both have an infinite cardinality.

How is cardinality related to other mathematical concepts?

Cardinality is closely related to other mathematical concepts such as sets, functions, and relations. It is used to determine the size of a set, the number of elements in a domain or range of a function, and the number of elements in a relation.