Discover Your Dream Career: From Engineering to Theoretical Physics at 14

• Thread starter @PK nd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Career
In summary, a 14-year-old aspiring theoretical physicist is seeking advice on how to pursue their dreams despite their parents' preference for them to become an engineer. The forum advises that the preparation for physics and engineering is similar at this stage, with a focus on mathematics and science. They also suggest participating in extracurricular activities and studying for prize exams to gain experience and potentially receive scholarships for university. It is noted that while it may be easier to go from a physics undergrad to grad work, a good school for physics is better than an average school for engineering. Ultimately, it is recommended that the individual continue to learn and grow in their interests and abilities.
@PK nd
hii!
I m 14 and i want to become at theoritical physicst when i grow up bt my parents want me to become an eng .Is there a way that i can become a physics guy after doing B Tech

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the forum.

Age 14 is roughly the first year of high school, or equivalent in your country. So you have about 4 years before you start university.

The nice thing is, preparing for physics at this stage is very similar to preparing for engineering. You would do very much the same thing no matter which you eventually decide on.

A bachelor of science engineering degree is not necessarily a bad thing to go on to grad school in physics. You would need to adjust the classes you took. Theoretical physics is very heavy on the mathematics. And you would want to emphasize the parts of your degree that corresponded with the kind of physics you eventually want to work in. My PhD supervisor took Engineering Science at University of Toronto for his undergrad. Then he did particle physics for his PhD.

On the other hand, it is probably easier (if that is the right word) to go from physics undergrad to physics grad work. A physics degree is good for many of the same jobs that an engineering degree is. So your parents may be nearly as happy with you if you get into a good school for physics. In fact, a really good school for physics is better than an average school for engineering. Though it is harder to get into the really good schools, and often the fees are higher.

What you want to do between now and then is learn as much math and science as you can. How you do that depends on the resources that are available to you.

You want to try to stretch your ability. For example, you want to try to get to calculus and algebra as soon as you can. Also you want to do things like geometry and related things. Are there any clubs like a model rocket club in your school? It can teach you a lot to build and launch a rocket. These days you can put something like a GoPro camera on a rocket, and for a price that is not impossible. Maybe an electronics club? Or maybe there is something like this at the local college?

One thing that motivated me during my high school days was studying for "prize exams." There was a physics prize exam called "The Sir Isaac Newton Exam" run by University of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada. That one got me a scholarship that helped me get through undergrad. There was the Canadian Association of Physics exam. There was a math exam run my the American Math society. I still have a little tie pin from that one for finishing in the top 100 in Canada. There was a chemistry exam. Talk to the guidance folks in your school and see if there are not similar exams for you. If you can get copies of old versions of these exams and study the material required to understand those questions it can be very useful. If you can ace one of these exams you might get a nice scholarship prize to help you with your university expenses. And "winner of so-and-so exam" opens some doors for you with professors.

Likes Spandan Biswas
thnx

1. What inspired you to pursue a career in engineering and theoretical physics at such a young age?

I have always been fascinated by the world around me and how things work. From a young age, I enjoyed tinkering with gadgets and building structures with Legos. As I grew older, I became more interested in understanding the laws of physics and how they govern the universe. This curiosity led me to explore the fields of engineering and theoretical physics, and I knew early on that I wanted to pursue a career in these areas.

2. How did you manage to balance your education with your passion for science and engineering?

It definitely wasn't easy, but I was fortunate enough to have a supportive family and teachers who encouraged me to pursue my interests. I also had to be disciplined and manage my time effectively. Instead of spending hours on social media or video games, I would use that time to read books and conduct experiments. I also took advantage of opportunities such as science camps and workshops to expand my knowledge and skills.

3. What challenges did you face as a young scientist in the field of engineering and theoretical physics?

One of the biggest challenges I faced was being taken seriously by my peers and mentors. Many people doubted my abilities and questioned whether I was too young to understand complex scientific concepts. However, I used this as motivation to work harder and prove them wrong. I also faced challenges with resources and equipment, as some experiments and projects required expensive materials that I couldn't afford at a young age.

4. How did your early exposure to engineering and theoretical physics impact your career development?

My early exposure to these fields gave me a strong foundation and understanding of fundamental concepts. It also allowed me to explore various areas of engineering and theoretical physics, which helped me determine my specific interests and career goals. Additionally, it gave me a head start in my education and research, which has been beneficial in my career development.

5. What advice do you have for young individuals who are interested in pursuing a career in engineering and theoretical physics?

My advice would be to never stop learning and exploring. Don't be afraid to ask questions and seek out opportunities to expand your knowledge and skills. Surround yourself with people who support and encourage your interests, and don't let anyone discourage you from pursuing your passion. Most importantly, have fun and enjoy the journey of discovering your dream career.