Career Guidance for 11th grader in Science

In summary, the speaker is interested in pursuing a career in science, specifically physics or physical chemistry. They also express a desire for a job that allows for discovery and innovation, rather than repetitive tasks. They acknowledge the challenges in obtaining a career as a scientist and are open to self-teaching outside of the school curriculum. The speaker also requests polite feedback and mentions a forum thread for insights into the process of becoming a physicist.
Elemere
Hi,
The first thing you probably noticed was how broad I was with the term science. Basically in a small sop story, ever since I was a kid I wanted to be a "scientist" at first it was fir mixing magical potions and becoming invisible but as time passed I think it's more the sheer thrill of the idea of being a pioneer someone to discover something no one else has. But sop story over next year I need to pick my main 5. With due modesty I have a natural aptitude for math and out of all the scientific fields I like the concept of physics despite the apparent job insecurity but have a love for physical chemistry and don't find any of these subjects unusually challenging. I know I am young to start thinking of these now but I am not afraid to self teach myself outside of the school curriculum and if my interest waers so be it but for now I'm just interested at narrowing down a career and learning what to studt for that general area.

Please note that though ignorant I admit to it and would appreciate it if you informed me politely of ant oversites.

Sincerely
Elemere

Physics news on Phys.org
Its probably better to think about what you want to do rather than what you want to be called. In any case, getting a career where you are called a "scientist" can be quite hard.

I would look at the thread in this forum titled "So you want to be a physicist" for insights into the process.

edit - here is a link, https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=240792 Its in the academic sub-forum, not this sub-forum.

Last edited:
It's not so much the title as the meaning. As insecure a Job as it would be I think I would love a job where there is not a mandatory task that you've already been done a hundred times only to do it a hundred more and the biggest frontier in that kind of job environment seems to be the field of study we call science. I really don't care if I'm referred to as the garbage man I just want to enjoy the my job and feel a satisfaction in my work

1. What are the possible career options for an 11th grader interested in science?

There are many career options for students interested in science, including research positions in fields such as biology, chemistry, and physics, as well as careers in healthcare, engineering, environmental science, and technology. It is important for students to explore their interests and strengths in order to find the best fit for their future career path.

2. How can an 11th grader prepare for a career in science?

An 11th grader can prepare for a career in science by taking relevant courses in high school, such as biology, chemistry, and physics, and participating in extracurricular activities related to their interests in science. They can also gain experience through internships, volunteering, or participating in science fairs and competitions. It is also important for students to develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills.

3. What are some important factors to consider when choosing a college or university for a science major?

When choosing a college or university for a science major, it is important to consider the program's curriculum, faculty members and their research interests, available resources and facilities, and opportunities for hands-on experience and research. It is also important to consider the location, cost, and overall fit for the student's academic and personal goals.

4. Are there any scholarships or financial aid options specifically for students pursuing a career in science?

Yes, there are various scholarships and financial aid options available for students pursuing a career in science. Many colleges and universities offer scholarships for students majoring in science, as well as for students who demonstrate strong academic performance and financial need. There are also external organizations and foundations that offer scholarships specifically for students in science-related fields.

5. What are some resources available for an 11th grader to explore different science careers?

There are many resources available for students to explore different science careers, such as career fairs, informational interviews with professionals in various fields, online career exploration tools, and informational websites and blogs. Students can also connect with their school's career center or a career counselor for guidance and advice on exploring different science careers.