1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Career Guidance for 11th grader in Science

1. Oct 13, 2013 #1
    Hi,
    The first thing you probably noticed was how broad I was with the term science. Basically in a small sop story, ever since I was a kid I wanted to be a "scientist" at first it was fir mixing magical potions and becoming invisible but as time passed I think it's more the sheer thrill of the idea of being a pioneer someone to discover something no one else has. But sop story over next year I need to pick my main 5. With due modesty I have a natural aptitude for math and out of all the scientific fields I like the concept of physics despite the apparent job insecurity but have a love for physical chemistry and don't find any of these subjects unusually challenging. I know I am young to start thinking of these now but I am not afraid to self teach myself outside of the school curriculum and if my interest waers so be it but for now I'm just interested at narrowing down a career and learning what to studt for that general area.

Please note that though ignorant I admit to it and would appreciate it if you informed me politely of ant oversites.

Sincerely
    Elemere

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2013 #2
    Its probably better to think about what you want to do rather than what you want to be called. In any case, getting a career where you are called a "scientist" can be quite hard.

I would look at the thread in this forum titled "So you want to be a physicist" for insights into the process.

edit - here is a link, https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=240792 Its in the academic sub-forum, not this sub-forum.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  4. Oct 15, 2013 #3
    It's not so much the title as the meaning. As insecure a Job as it would be I think I would love a job where there is not a mandatory task that you've already been done a hundred times only to do it a hundred more and the biggest frontier in that kind of job environment seems to be the field of study we call science. I really don't care if I'm referred to as the garbage man I just want to enjoy the my job and feel a satisfaction in my work

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook