Exploring Career Opportunities in Applied Math

In summary, the conversation discusses the job opportunities in applied and industrial math, specifically in scientific computing and modeling. The speakers mention the difficulty in finding specific information about these types of jobs, suggesting that they may be specialized and not as readily available. They also mention the possibility of pursuing a more business-oriented route, such as operations research or finance. The conversation concludes with the speakers providing resources for job listings in these fields and noting that they can be competitive. Overall, there is no one typical career path for individuals with a degree in applied math and it ultimately depends on personal interests.
lubuntu
I'm trying to get a sense of what the job opportunities are in applied and industrial math, in particular scientific computing and modeling.

I'm thinking about pursuing this as a career but have found it rather hard to find much specific information. Does this imply these sorts of jobs are rather specialized and difficult to come by?

I realize I could probably take a generic programing job out fresh out of school but I'd like to really nail down what opportunities there are in industrial math for people with a B.Sc. or M.Sc. in Applied Math, is there a job board somewhere that lists jobs like this? I can't much of anything!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know about scientific computing, but I suspect you'd need at least a master's or some specialized work experience. You might try looking at larger engineering departments - they sometimes hire math undergrads for analysis jobs.

You could always try to swap to a more business oriented route too and get into something like operations research or finance. Applied math is so broad that there really isn't one good answer or typical career path. It depends what you are interested in.

Operations research analysts: http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos044.htm
Actuaries: http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos041.htm

They have all of the typical finance jobs listed on BLS too. All of these types of jobs will be pretty competitive. Most of the more typical finance jobs are less math intensive and will pick from a very broad applicant pool. There are a lot more of all of these than scientific jobs for undergrads though.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is applied math and how is it different from pure math?

Applied math is the use of mathematical principles and techniques to solve real-world problems in various fields such as engineering, finance, and data analysis. It involves the application of mathematical concepts to practical situations and is often interdisciplinary in nature. In contrast, pure math focuses on abstract mathematical concepts and their theoretical applications.

2. What are some career options for someone with a degree in applied math?

There are many career opportunities for those with a degree in applied math. Some common options include data analyst, financial analyst, actuary, operations research analyst, and statistician. Applied mathematicians can also work in research and development, teaching, and consulting.

3. Is a degree in applied math in demand in the job market?

Yes, a degree in applied math is highly sought after in the job market. With the increasing use of technology and data in various industries, the demand for individuals with strong analytical and problem-solving skills has grown. Applied mathematicians are needed in fields such as finance, technology, healthcare, and government.

4. What skills are important for a successful career in applied math?

In addition to a strong foundation in mathematics, individuals pursuing a career in applied math should also have excellent analytical and critical thinking skills. They should be able to communicate complex ideas effectively and have a strong attention to detail. Knowledge of programming languages and data analysis software is also beneficial.

5. Can someone with a background in applied math transition into a different field?

Yes, individuals with a degree in applied math can use their skills and knowledge in various fields. In addition to traditional careers in math-related industries, applied mathematicians can also work in fields such as software development, business analytics, and even law. The problem-solving and analytical skills gained from an applied math degree are transferable to many different industries and job roles.