A Career Path After Earning an Associates in Mathematics

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of finding viable jobs after completing an associate's degree in mathematics. The speaker is unsure of where to place this thread and is currently pursuing a degree in mathematics. They plan on attending a four year college afterwards but are interested in finding a job that pays well while still in school. The other speaker is not familiar with an associate's degree in math and states that it is usually for skill-based or general academic purposes. They also mention that in a four year college, one does not have to declare a major until later on. The degree in question is called Mathematics, Associates of Arts Degree and has a list of required courses. The conversation ends with the question of whether any specific jobs come to mind for this
kuahji
Wasn't sure really where to put this thread, so hopefully this was ok. I'm working on my associates degree in mathematics. Are there any viable jobs I can pursue after the completion of the degree? I do plan on going to a 4 year college after I complete my associates degree, but it would be nice to have a semi-decent paying job while I'm still in college (I mean something not like retail or restaurants... those type of jobs).

Physics news on Phys.org
Quite frankly, I've never heard of an "associate's" degree in math. Normally, "associate", two year, degrees are either in "skills" (bookkeeping, cooking, nursing, etc.) or are a general "academic" degree for people planning to then attend a four year program. In a four year college people are not normally required to declare a major until late in their second year- so normally associate's degrees are not given in particular subject areas.

Hmm... if you don't pick an area to study then how would one know what classes to take? The degree is called Mathematics, Associates of Arts Degree. The required courses for the degree are
Engl 101
Spch 101
Math 121 (calc)
CPS
Engl 102
Math 122 (calc II)
Math 125 (discrete mathematics)
Math 229 (linear algebra)
Math 221 (calc III)
Math 222 (differential equations)
Phys 211 & 221
Electives

1. What job opportunities are available after earning an Associates in Mathematics?

There are many job opportunities available for individuals who have earned an Associates in Mathematics. Some common options include data analyst, actuary, statistician, financial analyst, and teacher. However, this degree can also open up doors in a variety of fields such as business, healthcare, government, and technology.

2. Is it necessary to further my education after earning an Associates in Mathematics?

While it is not necessary to further your education after earning an Associates in Mathematics, many individuals choose to pursue a higher degree in order to advance their career and increase their job opportunities. Some may choose to transfer to a four-year university to earn a Bachelor's degree, while others may pursue a graduate degree in a specific area of mathematics.

3. What skills will I develop through this degree program?

Earning an Associates in Mathematics will help you develop a strong foundation in mathematical concepts and problem-solving skills. You will also gain valuable critical thinking, analytical, and logical reasoning skills. Additionally, you will become proficient in using mathematical tools and technology such as statistical software and programming languages.

4. What industries can I work in with an Associates in Mathematics?

An Associates in Mathematics can open up job opportunities in a variety of industries, including finance, healthcare, education, government, and technology. Mathematics is a fundamental aspect of many fields, making it a versatile degree that can be applied to numerous industries.

5. What is the earning potential for someone with an Associates in Mathematics?

The earning potential for someone with an Associates in Mathematics will vary depending on their specific job, industry, and location. However, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for mathematicians and statisticians was $92,030 in 2020. With further education and experience, individuals can potentially earn even higher salaries.