Is a PhD in Ultrafast Laser Technology a Good Career Move?

• Thread starter chill_factor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Careers
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's decision to pursue a PhD in chemical physics with a focus on ultrafast laser technology. They mention their project has been outlined by a professor and they will learn about optical and electronics design. However, they are unsure about the job market for this field, as their previous graduate background is in condensed matter. The speaker's MSc supervisor has mentioned that the job market for laser physics PhDs is good in the UK, but there is not a high demand for these skills in industry. They give examples of potential applications for laser technology, such as designing micro structures and optical screening methods, but note that employers may not specifically seek out candidates with a laser physics background. The conversation also mentions the SPIE careers
chill_factor
I am about to commit to a PhD program in chemical physics, focusing on ultrafast laser technology and possible applications to chemical/materials analysis. The professor has already outlined my project and I'll get to learn optical and electronics design. The actual application, however, doesn't seem to be in any industrial demand.

I'd just like a realistic heads up on what the job market is currently like, since my previous graduate background is in condensed matter.

Physics news on Phys.org
I was told by my MSc supervisor that job market for laser physics PhD's is very good in the UK.

It's application is everywhere but subtle at the same time. For example, if people want to design micro structure on a piece of teflon, you probably want to cut it with femto second laser, otherwise it would melt all over the place. A lot of sorting systems for agricultural produce are starting to develop optical screening methods. The company I worked with during my PhD is designing strain gauge using fibre optics.

A lot of the stuff is still in design stages in academic institutes, but the more matured applications have already crept into the industries. The problem I see is that employers won't necessarily say they want people who specialized in laser physics/photonics/optoelectronics/etc. They can train someone with an electrical engineering degree who is, for example, very good with signal processing. So the job markets are there, but its not exclusive for us.

edit: forgot to mention, take a look in SPIE careers

Thanks for pointing me to SPIE careers. Your suggestion helps greatly.

In your studies, did you focus on developing the technology, or finding the applications? I looked over SPIE careers and many laser jobs seem to require specific application knowledge or experience in areas not directly related to lasers such as fab experience. How do you acquire these skills if the professor doesn't allow you to use the laser for anything other than his specific application? Even postdocs seem to only hire people to do things they already know how to do.

In my degrees a lot of it is related to the current research within the department. Some academic staff let us borrow their lasers as long as they trust us not to break things. As for job requirements, I think they expect job seekers to get them from the training of previous jobs, which does lead to chicken and egg problems a lot of graduates are facing these days...

Congratulations on your acceptance into a PhD program in chemical physics with a focus on ultrafast laser technology! This is an exciting and rapidly advancing field with many potential applications in chemical and materials analysis.

As a scientist in this field, I can offer some insights into the job market for careers in photonics/lasers. While it is true that the demand for this specific application may not be as high in the industrial sector compared to other fields, there are still many opportunities available for those with expertise in ultrafast laser technology.

One potential avenue for employment is in research and development positions within companies that specialize in laser technology, such as laser manufacturers or companies that utilize laser technology in their products or processes. These positions may involve designing and developing new laser systems or optimizing existing ones for specific applications.

Another potential avenue is in academia, where your expertise in ultrafast laser technology and chemical/materials analysis can be applied to a wide range of research projects. Many universities have research groups focused on photonics and lasers, and your skills would be highly valued in these environments.

Additionally, there is a growing demand for experts in photonics and lasers in the healthcare industry, particularly in the field of medical imaging. With the development of new imaging techniques using lasers, there is a need for scientists who can design and operate these systems.

Overall, while the demand may not be as high in the industrial sector, there are still many opportunities for careers in photonics/lasers. Your background in condensed matter will also be beneficial, as it provides a strong foundation in materials science and can be applied to various industries.

I encourage you to continue pursuing your PhD in this field and to stay current with the latest advancements and applications in ultrafast laser technology. With your knowledge and skills, you will be well-positioned for a successful and fulfilling career in photonics/lasers. Best of luck to you in your studies!

What is photonics/lasers?

Photonics is the science and technology of generating, controlling, and detecting light. Lasers are devices that emit highly focused, coherent beams of light, which have many practical applications in various industries such as telecommunications, medicine, and manufacturing.

What career options are available in photonics/lasers?

Careers in photonics/lasers can range from research and development, designing and manufacturing of laser systems, to applications in fields such as healthcare, aerospace, and defense. Some specific job titles include laser engineer, optical scientist, photonics technician, and laser system operator.

What education is required for a career in photonics/lasers?

Most careers in photonics/lasers require at least a bachelor's degree in physics, engineering, or a related field. However, higher-level positions may require a master's or doctoral degree. It is also beneficial to have experience with computer-aided design (CAD) software and programming languages.

What skills are necessary for a career in photonics/lasers?

Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a solid understanding of physics and mathematics, are essential for a career in photonics/lasers. Additionally, attention to detail, creativity, and the ability to work in a team are important skills to have in this field.

What is the job outlook for careers in photonics/lasers?

The job outlook for careers in photonics/lasers is positive, with a projected growth rate of 6% from 2019 to 2029. As technology continues to advance and new applications for photonics and lasers are discovered, the demand for skilled professionals in this field is expected to increase.