Careers involving electromagnetism (engineering)?

In summary, the conversation discusses a college student's interest in electromagnetic technology and its various applications in electrical engineering. The student is seeking advice on potential career paths in this field and whether a bachelor's, master's or PhD is required for design positions. The conversation also highlights the importance of this technology in modern electrical engineering and its various practical applications. The expert emphasizes the stability of jobs in this field and the need for a strong foundation in related courses such as signals and circuits.
Mingus
Hello,

I am an EE at college, and I will be graduating in (most likely) 3 semesters. Out of all of the parts of EE, I have really enjoyed electromagnetism the most and I was wondering if anyone had any insight into careers that revolve around EM.

I just don't have a good grasp of what engineers in this field actually do and what careers exist. I've heard of antenna and rf design, and dsp... but that's about all I know that is related to this. I figure that most of the jobs in industry that are based around (or make use of) EM are in the field of communications. I really want to be in a job where I am doing design work eventually, so pure academic research isn't something I'm looking into. The only way I would consider doing research is if it was on a topic that was a good transfer into industry (though many topics interest me), where I might still be involved in the design process.

I plan on asking a few professors at my college for their advice when I get the chance, but I figured some of you on the physics forum would have some great advice as well. Also, I apologize in advanced for the sloppy post; I'm just really worn out from recent travelling.

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe to add some organisation to my question-

What are some other examples of jobs that make use of EM and what would the job entail?

Are the jobs in this concentration generally stable?

If I have a good gpa and had a solid foundation on the basics, would it be difficult to break into an entry level position?

Do the design positions usually require a Bachelors, Masters, or PhD?

As far as getting more specific, I'm very interested in a few areas. How does the industry look if I get a masters focusing in satellite communication or optics? Yes, I know they aren't the most related topics, but I have reasons that I find them both interesting and exciting.

EM technology is central to most things in electrical engineering. It is energy storage. It is energy transmission. It is motors, antennas, RF, and circuit board design. It is about designing buildings to be resistant to lightning. It is about designing with long distance transmission lines. It is about designing power transformers, motor drives, and so many more things.

Need I continue?

You're basically asking if electrical engineering is a viable practice in the modern world. This is one of those foundation courses in this field. Many applications are derived from it.

No, you don't practice this stuff directly. But you do use many things it teaches. Features such as skin effect, the curl of a magnetic field around a wire, or the effects of wire thickness on antenna bandwidth are all part of the larger practice of electrical engineering.

So, yes, jobs that use this are generally stable. You can practice these concepts with just a BSEE or a PhD. As I pointed out: it is a foundational course. And congratulations for actually getting excited about it because this is a central issue you will have to deal with.

Oh and by the way, a signals course and a circuits course are also foundational. Pay attention there too.

1. What is the role of electromagnetism in engineering careers?

Electromagnetism plays a vital role in engineering careers as it is the foundation of many modern technologies. Engineers use electromagnetic principles to design and develop various devices such as motors, generators, transformers, and electronic circuits.

2. What are some common job titles in the field of electromagnetism engineering?

Some common job titles in the field of electromagnetism engineering include Electrical Engineer, Electronics Engineer, Electromagnetic Engineer, and Electromechanical Engineer. These professionals work in various industries such as telecommunications, power generation, and transportation.

3. What skills are required to excel in a career involving electromagnetism engineering?

To excel in a career involving electromagnetism engineering, one needs to have a strong foundation in physics and mathematics. Additionally, knowledge of computer-aided design (CAD) software, problem-solving abilities, and attention to detail are essential skills for success in this field.

4. What industries typically hire engineers with a background in electromagnetism?

Engineers with a background in electromagnetism are highly sought after in industries such as telecommunications, aerospace, automotive, and renewable energy. These industries rely heavily on electromagnetism principles for their operations and are constantly seeking skilled engineers to develop innovative solutions.

5. What are some potential career paths for someone with a degree in electromagnetism engineering?

Some potential career paths for someone with a degree in electromagnetism engineering include becoming a research and development engineer, a design engineer, a project manager, or a technical sales engineer. With the rapid advancements in technology, there is a growing demand for professionals with expertise in electromagnetism, creating a wide range of career opportunities.