Careers that require upper level mathematics

In summary: I've been working as an actuarial analyst for three years in the US and enjoy my job. The friends of mine that got into cryptography, DSP, computational physics, even RF type stuff all "use" high level math. But it's rarely pen and paper stuff, usually it's within MATLAB or C++. One of my friends was very good at number theory type stuff and he landed a very, very nice job with the NSA. According to him, he is always learning incredibly difficult math for his job. He was definitely bound for a technically demanding career from what I remember of him in school. When I worked in computational physics, I would always have to deal with tricky math but unfortunately I was never the one coming up
lus1450
Hey there PhysicsForum...long time reader, first time poster. Ever since I was about 11, I've wanted to pursue a degree in mathematics; now that I am in my first year of college (pursuing a degree in applied mathematics), I am coming to the realization that I have absolutely no idea what I want to do with, or can do it with for that matter. Currently, I am thinking about switching my degree path to a Math/Econ option or a Math/Applied Science path, following an actuarial science plan. I've always pictured myself using advanced mathematics in whatever job I eventually get, but upon researching, I can't find much; it's mostly finance or something like that, that people with math degrees go into. I've recently considered actuarial study, but I just fear that I won't be using "upper level" math (like double integrals or something of that nature).

I was wondering if any of you know of a career that uses a lot of math that's not just simple arithmetic? And if there are any actuaries out there, is math a huge part of your daily activity. Thanks for reading the wall of text, and I hope I don't come off as someone who whining...I'm just confused about what to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
I went for a degree in applied mathematics after researching what types of options there were available. I will likely get my masters in something to complement my math skills such as computer science/electrical engineering/physics. It seems to be pretty important to get another skill that complements the mathematics, unless you intend to get your PhD in mathematics.

Here are some resources I found helpful:
http://weusemath.org/
http://www.siam.org/careers/thinking/pdf/brochure.pdf

Last edited:
Zaculus said:
I've recently considered actuarial study, but I just fear that I won't be using "upper level" math (like double integrals or something of that nature).

A few comments on this:

1) Integrals (double or not) are not upper level math

2) Nobody does integrals of any kind. Computers do integrals. (Or, more often, solve PDE's by matching appropriate boundary conditions)

3) It's hard to know what you mean by upper level math, but you probably won't use it day to day as an actuary.

I've been working as an actuarial analyst for three years in the US and enjoy my job.

The friends of mine that got into cryptography, DSP, computational physics, even RF type stuff all "use" high level math. But it's rarely pen and paper stuff, usually it's within MATLAB or C++. One of my friends was very good at number theory type stuff and he landed a very, very nice job with the NSA. According to him, he is always learning incredibly difficult math for his job. He was definitely bound for a technically demanding career from what I remember of him in school. When I worked in computational physics, I would always have to deal with tricky math but unfortunately I was never the one coming up with it. I would just use it and code it. Almost all of the "creating" is done by PhD's in those type of jobs.

Hi there,

First of all, congratulations on pursuing a degree in mathematics! It is a challenging and rewarding field, and there are many career opportunities available for those with strong mathematical skills.

Some careers that require upper level mathematics include:

1. Actuarial Science: As you mentioned, this field involves using advanced mathematical techniques to analyze risk and make financial predictions. Actuaries use a variety of mathematical tools, including probability, statistics, and calculus, in their daily work.

2. Data Science: In today's digital age, there is a high demand for professionals who can analyze and interpret large amounts of data. Data scientists use mathematical and statistical methods to extract insights and make predictions from data.

3. Engineering: Many branches of engineering, such as mechanical, electrical, and aerospace, require a strong foundation in mathematics. Engineers use mathematical principles to design and analyze structures, systems, and processes.

4. Operations Research: This field involves using mathematical modeling and optimization techniques to solve complex problems in business, industry, and government. Operations research analysts use advanced mathematics to make data-driven decisions and improve efficiency.

5. Cryptography: With the increasing importance of data security, there is a growing demand for professionals who can develop and analyze secure communication systems. Cryptographers use advanced mathematical concepts, such as number theory and algebra, to create and break codes.

These are just a few examples of careers that require upper level mathematics. There are many other options available, and I encourage you to explore different industries and job roles to find the right fit for you.

As for actuaries, math is a crucial part of their daily work. They use a variety of mathematical techniques, such as calculus, statistics, and probability, to analyze data and make predictions. So if you are interested in actuarial science, you will definitely be using advanced math skills on a regular basis.

I hope this helps you in your career exploration. Remember, a degree in mathematics opens up many doors and provides a strong foundation for a variety of industries. Good luck in your studies and future career!

1. What types of careers require upper level mathematics?

Careers in fields such as engineering, computer science, finance, and statistics often require upper level mathematics. These fields involve complex problem-solving and data analysis, making a strong foundation in mathematics essential.

2. What skills do I need to be successful in a career that requires upper level mathematics?

In addition to a strong understanding of mathematical concepts, successful professionals in these careers also possess critical thinking and analytical skills. They must be able to think logically and solve problems using mathematical principles.

3. What level of math proficiency is necessary for these careers?

Proficiency in upper level mathematics is essential for these careers. This typically includes advanced topics such as calculus, linear algebra, and statistics. It is important to have a strong foundation in basic math principles before moving on to more complex concepts.

4. Are there any specific courses or majors that I should focus on to prepare for these careers?

While there is no specific major or course requirement for these careers, it is beneficial to focus on math-heavy subjects such as physics, computer science, or economics. These fields often require a strong understanding of upper level mathematics and can provide valuable experience and skills.

5. Are there any resources or tips for improving my mathematical skills for these careers?

Practicing regularly and seeking out additional resources, such as online tutorials or textbooks, can help improve your mathematical skills for these careers. It can also be helpful to work on real-world problems and applications to gain a better understanding of how math is used in these fields.