Carnegie Mellon University & University of Chicago: Undergraduate Math Programs?

• Thread starter jgens
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the quality of undergraduate math programs at Carnegie Mellon University and the University of Chicago. The University of Chicago is known for its strong undergraduate math program, with a difficult but rewarding honors analysis course taught by director of undergraduate studies Paul Sally. The speaker also believes the individual has a good chance of being accepted to UChicago, as well as Carnegie Mellon University, which also has a strong math program. They suggest considering other schools such as the University of Michigan, which has a good math program at a potentially lower cost. The conversation also briefly touches on the quality of undergraduate physics programs at UChicago and Carnegie Mellon.
jgens
Gold Member
Does anyone know if Carnegie Mellon University or the University of Chicago have good undergraduate math programs?

Realizing that it's difficult to predict, does anyone think I have a shot at getting accepted to Carnegie Mellon or the University of Chicago? I'm enrolled in a full I.B. Diploma program and am an anticipated canidate. I have a non-weighted G.P.A. of 4.0 and have a composite score of 30 on the A.C.T. (I had a fantastically bad test day and I think I may be able to improve that score by a few points, I'm taking the test again so we'll see). By the time I graduate, I'll have completed linear algebra, single and multivariable calculus, an introductory calculus based physics course as well as two other algebra based physics courses.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The University of Chicago has a good undergraduate math program. Paul Sally, the director of undergraduate studies, cares a lot about undergraduate teaching (and mathematics education in general). He teaches an honors analysis course that is known for being difficult but rewarding.

You definitely have a good shot at getting accepted to UChicago, especially if you apply early action. While your stats look fine, just remember that the acceptance is somewhat largely dependent on the quality of your essays.

I also think you have a good shot at CMU as well. While I don't think CMU has one of the best undergrad math programs, I am sure it is very strong. The introductory analysis course there uses Apostol Calculus and from what I've gathered, the course is slightly more advanced than the ubiquitous honors calculus course taught from Spivak at many other universities (such as UChicago).

UChicago is very expensive, so definitely take money into consideration. Also look into some other schools such as UMichigan, which has a good undergraduate math program but is probably not as expensive (especially if you can get scholarship).

Thanks for the input. Do you know if UChicago and Carnegie Mellon have good undergraduate physics programs?

1. What is the difference between Carnegie Mellon University and University of Chicago's undergraduate math programs?

Both universities have highly ranked undergraduate math programs, but there are some key differences. Carnegie Mellon University has a stronger focus on applied mathematics and computer science, while University of Chicago has a stronger emphasis on pure mathematics and theoretical research. Additionally, Carnegie Mellon University offers a Bachelor of Science in Mathematics and a Bachelor of Science in Computational and Applied Mathematics, while University of Chicago only offers a Bachelor of Science in Mathematics.

2. What opportunities are available for undergraduate math students at Carnegie Mellon University and University of Chicago?

Both universities offer a variety of opportunities for undergraduate math students, such as research projects, internships, and study abroad programs. Additionally, both universities have active math clubs and organizations that students can participate in to further their interests and skills in math.

3. How competitive are the undergraduate math programs at Carnegie Mellon University and University of Chicago?

Both universities have highly selective admissions processes for their undergraduate math programs. However, admission to these programs is not solely based on academic achievements, but also on personal qualities, extracurricular activities, and letters of recommendation. It is important for students to demonstrate a strong passion and aptitude for mathematics in their application.

4. What is the faculty like at Carnegie Mellon University and University of Chicago's undergraduate math programs?

Both universities have reputable faculty in their undergraduate math programs, with many professors being leaders in their respective fields. The faculty members at Carnegie Mellon University and University of Chicago are also known for their dedication to teaching and mentoring undergraduate students, providing a supportive and challenging learning environment.

5. Are there any notable alumni from the undergraduate math programs at Carnegie Mellon University and University of Chicago?

Yes, both universities have produced many notable alumni in the field of mathematics. Some notable alumni from Carnegie Mellon University include Turing Award winner Manuel Blum and Fields Medalist Maryam Mirzakhani. University of Chicago's notable alumni include Nobel Prize winner John Nash and Fields Medalist Terence Tao.