1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cars attaching to one another using magnetic force

1. Oct 2, 2015 #1
    hi,
    i'm doing a little research and in need of help since i'm not so talented in physics.. :(
    Is it possible to attach 2 cars with magnetic force so that they can be driving as one? (one car in the front and another car behind)
    I think it can be done with magnetic force but how..
    Also, Is it possible to control the magnetic force so that when wanted, the 2 cars can separate while driving?

I wanted to know the way of making this happen in the future without using some mechanism like using hooks.

quick help would be appreciated! Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2015 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

It's probably better to use a different mechanism. Why are you settled on using magnets?

4. Oct 2, 2015 #3

DaveC426913

Gold Member

You can use magnets, yes.

wooden-toy-train-set-4.jpg
    :smile:

Make them electromagnets so they can be switched on and off. Front bumper is North, rear bumper is South.

The problem you'll encounter - above and beyond the energy consumption, which will be large - is that magnetism strength drops rapidly over a very short range.

5. Oct 2, 2015 #4
    Could you elaborate on how electromagnets can be switched on and off?

6. Oct 2, 2015 #5
    Because its kinda futuristic than mechanism like using hooks

7. Oct 2, 2015 #6

berkeman

Just look up electromagnets on wikipedia.

But as Dave says, that would be a huge waste of energy.

8. Oct 2, 2015 #7

berkeman

Should this thread be moved to the Science Fiction forum then...? :smile:

9. Oct 2, 2015 #8

DaveC426913

Gold Member

By way of the "electro" part. Provide some, and they are magnets; no electricity, no magnet.

10. Oct 2, 2015 #9

berkeman

11. Oct 8, 2015 #10
    For example, What kind of magnets that can released mechanically? i need to know ASAP :)
    i found superconducting magnet...not sure if this is it

12. Oct 8, 2015 #11

berkeman

LOL, no, it's not a superconducting magnet.

Please show some effort and use Google or Google Images to find out more about mechanically released magnetic assemblies.

13. Oct 8, 2015 #12
    lolol. im being honest with you.
    im very stupid when it comes to math and physics. It's not my major. I don't even know what i'm looking at or reading on google..:confused:o_O

14. Oct 8, 2015 #13

berkeman

Well, I'll be honest with you. You will not improve your level of understanding if you keep asking others to spoonfeed you solutions. Please try to get in the habit of trying to answer your own questions on your own first, and then asking for help when you have done your best first.

I already gave you some great search terms for Google and Google Images. Start with those, and do your best with internet search engines to learn more about your options.

At the PF, we do our best to help students learn how to learn, and spoonfeeding is not part of that.

Also, always remember that if you give a person a fish, your feed them for a day. If you teach them how to fish, you can sell them boats and trucks and fishing gear and bait and beer for life. :wink:

15. Oct 8, 2015 #14
    And if you give a fish a person, you get arrested.:biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook