Car's vibration after being compressed, and released on springs

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
rinarez7
Messages
27
Reaction score
0
1. When seven people whose average mass is 83 kg sit down in a car they find that the car drops down 0.87cm lower on its springs. Then they get out of the car and bounce it up and down. The acceleration of gravity os 9.8m/s^2.
What is the frequency of the car's vibration if its mass (empty) is 1100kg? Answer in units of Hz.



2. f= 1/2pi (sqrt k/m)

k=F/x= mg/x

m1f1^2 = m2f2^2




3. First I solved for k: k= mg/ x = 1183 kg (9.8) / .0087m= 1332574.713 N/m

Then I solved for f1= 1/2pi (sqrt k/m)= 1/2pi (sqrt (1332574.713/ 1183kg)= 5.34 Hz

Now, when I tried to use these numbers in m1f1^2= m2f2^2 and solve for f2
1183kg(5.34)^2 = 1100kg (f2)^2
f2= 5.539 Hz
But this is wrong. Help!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

F=kx > G=kx > (83*7)g = k *.0087

f1= 1/2pi (sqrt k/m)= 1/2pi(sqrt(k/1100))