Cartesian Equation of the Plane Passing Through Two Vectors

In summary, we can solve for the third vector $(1,2,9)$ as a linear combination of the first two vectors $(1,0,-1)$ and $(2,1,3)$, and this allows us to express any point in the plane they span as a linear combination of the two vectors using the matrix equation given. The equation for the plane is $x-5y+z = 0$.
Guest2
Could someone please help with me with part $(b)$? By "the other set of vectors" they mean $R$, and the linear combination is

$(1,2,9) = -3(1,0,-1)+2(2,1,3)$.​

https://i.imgsafe.org/b80212f.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Guest said:
Could someone please help with me with part $(b)$? By "the other set of vectors" they mean $R$, and the linear combination is

$(1,2,9) = -3(1,0,-1)+2(2,1,3)$.​

Hi Guest,

If we write the 3rd vector as a linear combination of the first two, we have:
$$(1,2,9) = a(1,0,-1)+b(2,1,3)$$
Can you solve it? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
Hi Guest,

If we write the 3rd vector as a linear combination of the first two, we have:
$$(1,2,9) = a(1,0,-1)+b(2,1,3)$$
Can you solve it? (Wondering)
So $(1,2,9) = (a, 0,-a)+(2b, b, 3b) = (a+2b, b, 3b-a) \implies b = 2 \implies a = -3. $

Woah, I've solved it I think (Happy)

Since $v_1 = (1,0,-1)$ and $v_2 = (2,1,3)$ span the plane, we can write any point in the plane as:

$\begin{align*}
\begin{pmatrix}x\\y\\z\end{pmatrix}=tv_1+rv_2=t\begin{pmatrix}1\\0\\-1\end{pmatrix}+r\begin{pmatrix}2\\1\\3\end{pmatrix}
=\begin{pmatrix}1&2\\0&1\\-1&3\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix} t \\ r\end{pmatrix}
\end{align*}$, call this (1). Now, row reducing:

$\begin{pmatrix}1&2&|&x\\0&1&|&y\\-1&3&|&z\end{pmatrix} \to \begin{pmatrix}1&2&|&x\\0&1&|&y\\0&5&|&x+z\end{pmatrix} \to \begin{pmatrix}1&0&|&x-2y\\0&1&|&y\\0&5&|&x+z\end{pmatrix} \to \begin{pmatrix}1&0&|&x-2y\\0&1&|&y\\0&0&|&x-5y+z\end{pmatrix}$

We find that (1) has a solution if and only if $x-5y+z = 0$, and this is the equation for the plane $\Pi$.

Last edited:

1. What is a Cartesian equation of a plane?

A Cartesian equation of a plane is a mathematical representation of a plane in three-dimensional space using the x, y, and z axes. It is in the form of ax + by + cz = d, where a, b, and c are the coefficients of the x, y, and z variables, and d is a constant.

2. How is a Cartesian equation of a plane different from a parametric equation?

A Cartesian equation of a plane represents the plane as a single equation, while a parametric equation uses multiple equations to describe the relationship between the x, y, and z coordinates. A parametric equation is often used to describe curves or surfaces, while a Cartesian equation is used to describe a flat plane.

3. What information can be determined from a Cartesian equation of a plane?

A Cartesian equation of a plane can provide information about the orientation, position, and distance of the plane in relation to the x, y, and z axes. It can also be used to solve for the intersection of two planes or the distance between a point and the plane.

4. How do you convert a Cartesian equation of a plane to a vector equation?

To convert a Cartesian equation of a plane to a vector equation, the coefficients of the x, y, and z variables become the components of a normal vector to the plane. The constant term becomes the negative distance from the origin along the normal vector. The vector equation is in the form of r · n = d, where r is the position vector of any point on the plane, n is the normal vector, and d is the distance from the origin.

5. Can a Cartesian equation of a plane be used to represent any type of plane?

Yes, a Cartesian equation of a plane can represent any type of plane, including horizontal, vertical, and tilted planes. However, in certain cases, other forms of equations may be more suitable, such as a slope-intercept form for a horizontal plane or a point-normal form for a tilted plane.