1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cartesian equation of plane that i perpendicular to plane and contains line

1. Oct 29, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Question states "The plane that contains the line r=<-2,4,3>+t<3,2-1> and is perpendicular to the plane r=<5,0,0>+s<2,1,0>+t<-1,0,1> is:"

Answer is y+2z=10

2. Relevant equations

Cross product and dot product of vectors

3. The attempt at a solution

I found a vector normal to the plane r=<5,0,0>=s<2,1,0>+t<-1,0,1>

by doing the cross product of the two direction vectors is <2,1,0> x <-1,0,1>
    getting <1,-2,1>

than apply rule of n.v=0 ie <1,-2,1> . <x-(-2), y-4, z-3>
    to get x+2-2y+8+z-3=0
    and so x-2y+z = -7

Not sure what I have done wrong here, could someone explain please?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You found a plane that has normal vector <1, -2, 1>? Then you found a plane that is paralllel to r, not perpendicular to it!

4. Oct 29, 2008 #3
    By doing the cross product of the direction vectors of r=<5,0,0>+s<2,1,0>+t<-1,0,1> am I not find a vector perpendicular to the plane?

5. Oct 29, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, that is correct. But in your form x-2y+z = -7, the vector of coefficients, <1, -2, 1> is perpendicular that this new plane. Since it was also perpendicular to the original plane, the two planes are parallel.

6. Oct 29, 2008 #5
    Should I than from finding vector <1, -2, 1> do the cross product of it and the direction vector of the line <3,2-1> and than try and find the Cartesian equation of plane ?

7. Oct 30, 2008 #6

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That should work.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?