Cartesian to cylindrical coordinates (integration question)

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Cartesian and cylindrical coordinates in integration and when to use a variable or a constant for the cross sections. It also mentions that surfaces require two parameters while curves only require one.
Miike012
There has been a few times when I switch from Cartesian to cylindrical coordinates to integrate I would get the wrong because I used the wrong substitution.
For instance I would use x = rcos(θ) and y = rsin(θ) where r and θ are variable when I was suppose to leave r as a constant.

Question: correct me if I am wrong, I should use x = rcosθ and y = rsinθ where r is variable if the cross section parallel to my region of integration are circles whose radius are not constant. For example: a cone.

And I would choose r to be the appropriate constant if the cross sections are circles with constant radius for example the surface x^2 + y^2 = 16 ... a cylinder.

Is there anything else I should know?

Physics news on Phys.org
A surface requires two parameters while curve requires only 1. For example, to describe the unit circle ##x^2+y^2=1## and its interior you could use ##x=r\cos\theta,\, y=r\sin\theta## where ##r## varies from ##0## to ##1## and ##\theta## varies from ##0## to ##2\pi##. If you just set ##r=1## then you just get the curve enclosing the area. If you set ##\theta = \pi/4## and let ##r## vary you get the ##45^\circ## line.

1. What is the formula for converting Cartesian coordinates to cylindrical coordinates?

The formula for converting from Cartesian coordinates (x, y, z) to cylindrical coordinates (r, θ, z) is:
r = √(x² + y²)
θ = tan⁻¹(y/x)
z = z

2. How do I integrate a function in Cartesian coordinates using cylindrical coordinates?

To integrate a function in Cartesian coordinates using cylindrical coordinates, you need to use the following formula:
∫∫∫ f(x, y, z) dV = ∫∫∫ f(r cos θ, r sin θ, z) r dz dr dθ

3. Can I convert a double integral from Cartesian coordinates to cylindrical coordinates?

Yes, you can convert a double integral from Cartesian coordinates to cylindrical coordinates. You need to use the following formula:
∫∫ f(x, y) dA = ∫∫ f(r cos θ, r sin θ) r dr dθ

4. How do I know if I should use Cartesian or cylindrical coordinates for a specific problem?

You should use Cartesian coordinates when the problem involves a rectangular region or when the function is expressed in terms of x, y, and z. You should use cylindrical coordinates when the problem involves a circular or cylindrical region or when the function is expressed in terms of r, θ, and z.

5. Can I convert a triple integral from Cartesian coordinates to cylindrical coordinates?

Yes, you can convert a triple integral from Cartesian coordinates to cylindrical coordinates. You need to use the following formula:
∫∫∫ f(x, y, z) dV = ∫∫∫ f(r cos θ, r sin θ, z) r dz dr dθ