1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cartesian to cylindrical coordinates (integration question)

1. Dec 7, 2012 #1
    There has been a few times when I switch from Cartesian to cylindrical coordinates to integrate I would get the wrong because I used the wrong substitution.
    For instance I would use x = rcos(θ) and y = rsin(θ) where r and θ are variable when I was suppose to leave r as a constant.

Question: correct me if I am wrong, I should use x = rcosθ and y = rsinθ where r is variable if the cross section parallel to my region of integration are circles whose radius are not constant. For example: a cone.

And I would choose r to be the appropriate constant if the cross sections are circles with constant radius for example the surface x^2 + y^2 = 16 ... a cylinder.

Is there anything else I should know?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

A surface requires two parameters while curve requires only 1. For example, to describe the unit circle ##x^2+y^2=1## and its interior you could use ##x=r\cos\theta,\, y=r\sin\theta## where ##r## varies from ##0## to ##1## and ##\theta## varies from ##0## to ##2\pi##. If you just set ##r=1## then you just get the curve enclosing the area. If you set ##\theta = \pi/4## and let ##r## vary you get the ##45^\circ## line.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook