1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Compensation factor for converting dy dx to cylindrical coordinates?

1. Aug 3, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What is the compensation factor for converting dy dx to cylindrical coordinates?

2. Relevant equations
    None that I know of besides the bottom ones as part of the attempt

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I know that the conversion formulas for going from Cartesian (x,y,z) coordinates to Cylindrical (r, θ, z) coordinates are as follows.
    ##x^2 + y^2 = r^2##
    ##x = r cos(θ)##
    ##y = r sin(θ)##
    ##z = z##
    "When evaluating an integral, the integrating factors have a slightly different formula." - My professor regarding these formulas at the above question.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2013 #2

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Don't forget your jacobian.

4. Aug 3, 2013 #3
    Since my class pretty much rests on the idea of giving us stuff we haven't really covered, I don't know how to use a Jacobian. Be right back, researching that.

5. Aug 3, 2013 #4

Zondrina

Homework Helper

You accidentally posted another thread I see. What is it you don't understand? I've already told you what you were missing.

This should help you : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacobian

6. Aug 3, 2013 #5
    Thanks. I know how to find the Jacobian Determinant now, even the 3D ones. But I still don't know how to apply them to this problem to find a compensation factor.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  7. Aug 4, 2013 #6

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

What is a compensation factor? I've never heard this in connection with integrals.

You find the area element in arbitrary coordinates [itex](q^1,q^2)[/itex] by using the Jacobian determinant, because this gives the area of the surface elements spanned by the coordinate lines,
    [tex]d^2 \vec{x}=\mathrm{det} \frac{\partial (x^1,x^2)}{\partial (q^1,q^2)} \mathrm{d}x^1 \mathrm{d} x^2,[/tex]
    where
    [tex]\frac{\partial (x^1,x^2)}{\partial (q^1,q^2)} = \begin{pmatrix}
    \partial x^1/\partial q^1 & \partial x^1/\partial q^2\\
    \partial x^2/\partial q^1 & \partial x^2/\partial q^2
    \end{pmatrix}
    [/tex]
    For polar coordinates you can even read it off from the geometry of the coordinate lines which are radial straight lines and circles around the origin. Obviously this gives immediately
    [tex]\mathrm{d^2} \vec{x}=\mathrm{d}r \mathrm{d} \varphi r,[/tex]
    which you can easily check using the Jacobian.

8. Aug 4, 2013 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

One way to approach this problem is purely "geometric": Imagine two points with coordinates [itex](rcos(\theta), r(sin(theta), z)[/itex] and [itex]((r+dr)cos(\theta+ d\theta), (r+ dr)sin(\theta+ d\theta), z+dz)[/itex]. Drawing the appropriate "coordinate lines" (lines from (0, 0, z) to [itex](rcos(\theta), r(sin(theta), z)[/itex], [itex](rcos(\theta), r(sin(theta), z+dz)[/itex], [itex]((r+ dr)cos(\theta+d\theta), (r+dr)sin(theta+d\theta), z+dz)[/itex], the cylinders at r and r+ dr, we have a curved figure that is almost a rectangular solid. The "height" is dz, the "width" is dr and the smaller "length" (the curved sides) is [itex]rd\theta[/itex] (the larger is (r+ dr)d\theta). The difference between those two lengths won't matter in the limit so we can take as the volume the product of those: [itex](dz)(dr)(r+ dr)d\theta= rdrd\theta dz+ (dr)^2d\theta dz[/itex]. As those all go to 0, the term with [itex]dr^2[/itex] will go to 0 faster than the first term so in the limit we have [itex]rdrd\theta dz[/itex].

(Of course, since "cylindrical coordinates" is just "polar coordinates" with z added, the differential of volume is just the differential of area in polar coorrdinates, [itex]rdrd\theta[/itex] with "dz" multiplied.)

9. Aug 4, 2013 #8

Zondrina

Homework Helper

I'm assuming what your professor is trying to show you is this :

##\int \int \int_R f(x,y,z) dxdydz = \int \int \int_{R'} f(r, \theta, z) |J| drdθdz##

This equivalence is actually based off a much simpler relationship. Try convincing yourself of this first ( and then after convincing yourself, you will be able to show a much more general case and then even extend it to higher dimensions yourself ). This method is a good way to understand this, but if you don't know about curves and such it might not be the best.

Suppose that ##R## and ##R'## are bounded, connected regions such that Green's Theorem holds. Then :

Area of a region R = ##\int \int_R 1dxdy = \int \int_{R'} |J|dudv## where |J| is the Jacobian.

How do we show this?

Suppose the boundary of ##R## is a smooth curve ##C## given by ##P(t) = (x(t), y(t))## for ##t \in [a,b]## such that :

##\int_C x(t) dy = \int \int_R 1dxdy##

Now, take the boundary of ##R'## to be another smooth curve ##C'## oriented so that the transformation ##u = h(x,y), v = k(x,y)##
    maps ##C → C'##.

Then we have ( Note I'm using the chain rule here and the subscripts for the functions are the derivatives of that function with respect to that variable ) :

##\int_C xdy = \int_{a}^{b} x(t)y'(t) dt = \int_{a}^{b} f(u,v) \frac{∂}{∂t} (g(u,v)) dt = \int_{C'} f(u,v) g_u(u,v) du + f(u,v) g_v(u,v) dv##

Continuing ( I'll drop the (u,v)'s for the functions to make this easier to read ) :

##\int_{C'} fg_u du + fg_v dv = ± \int \int_{R'} \frac{∂}{∂u}(fg_v) - \frac{∂}{∂v} (fg_u) dudv = ± \int \int_{R'} f_ug_v - f_vg_u dudv = ± \int \int_{R'} J dudv = \int \int_{R'} |J| dudv ##

Hence the result is shown. Now using this result, you can show how to compute the area for any general function in any dimension.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  10. Aug 5, 2013 #9

Thanks. I just looked through your post and it looks like I got the answer right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted