1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cascading RC circuit w/ DC voltage. How will capacitors charging time vary?

1. Nov 30, 2006 #1
    In the following schematic, will the RC time constant be the same for all capacitors using the equivalent resistance of all the resistors?

When I plug it into pspice or electronics work bench, it has that the First capacitors voltage as a function of time will always be twice as much as the 10th capacitor stage as a function of time.

I just dont know...

Either way, im only off by 5% in my theorietical and experimental calculations...just confused...

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2006 #2

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Does that symbol to the right mean the stages go on forever?

4. Nov 30, 2006 #3
    No, its a spark gap.

I figured it out though. A huge linear non homongenous first order differntial equation should take care of it.

5. Nov 30, 2006 #4

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The "10" made me wonder. I think you are right about the DE. I started doing it just for 2 capacitors. Have fun :smile:

6. Nov 30, 2006 #5
    This is going to be a set of coupled differential equations isnt it?

7. Nov 30, 2006 #6

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I should think so. The charge rate of each capacitor depends on its own charge and the charges on the adjacent capcitors. One would think the capacitor closest to the source of emf will charge faster than the next one, etc.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?