Cat vs. Dog - Better Pet?

• Thread starter Leptos
  • Start date

DaveC426913

Gold Member
We've always had rescue cats...
Rescue cats???:bugeye: They must be really strong to drag a human out of rubble!

:biggrin:

Rescue cats???:bugeye: They must be really strong to drag a human out of rubble!

:biggrin:
They don't drag you out of the rubble. They bring you dead mice and birds to eat while you wait for the rescue teams.

turbo

Gold Member
My wife and I live out in the boonies. If someone should try to break in while I am gone, Duke would defend her at all costs. Just hearing him bark inside the house should make any would-be robber high-tail it before forcing the door - he's got a pretty loud and authoritative bark.

In this regard, a pet cat is only marginally better than a pet rock. Well maybe not as good. At least you can throw a rock at the robber.

BobG

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
A litter box stinks.

If you walk your dog only at night, then all of the neighbors will have greener grass than you.

A dog can help you in a fire by bringing you your prosthetic leg and the phone.

A cat can set the fire in the first place.

ELKHART LAKE, Wis. --After a disabled woman's cat started a house fire, her specially trained dog came to the rescue, then died trying to help the cat still in the house. Jamie Hanson said the 13-year-old dog named Jesse brought the phone so she could call 911 and also brought her artificial leg.

"She got me outside and then she heard the cat upstairs and she went up there to get the cat and she wouldn't come back to me," Hanson, 49, said at a news conference Monday at Aurora Sheboygan Memorial Medical Center where she was being treated for her injuries.

She received third-degree burns to an arm in the fire Sunday night at her home in the town of Rhine south of Elkhart Lake, the Sheboygan County Sheriff's Department said, adding that both pets died in the fire.

Hanson, who lost a leg in a car accident three years ago, said she was on the couch watching television when the cat ran over the back of the couch.

"And he jumped onto a table that had a candle on it and tipped it over and lighted the artificial plants on fire," she said.

Hanson said she fell off the couch and was unable to get her artificial leg from the table, "so my dog got my leg for me and went and got the phone and brought the phone to me so I could call 911."

She said she tried to put the prosthetic leg on, but it was too hot, and the dog, a golden retriever-German shepherd mix, came to her aid again before going back inside for the cat.

When rescuers arrived, the house was fully engulfed in flames, the sheriff's department said. Hanson was in the doorway and was assisted by a deputy.

She was no longer being treated at the hospital when The Associated Press called Monday evening for further comment.
(The original article is over two years old and doesn't exist on the boston.com website anymore.)

fuzzyfelt

Gold Member
That reinforces my opinion, dogs are best!

I would never throw my pet rock at someone or something. A cat on the other hand. . .:smile:

Pythagorean

Gold Member
For me it's a matter of the pet's peronailty, not so much the species. I guess an intelligent dog is more useful (obedient) than an intelligent cat.

For me it's a matter of the pet's peronailty, not so much the species. I guess an intelligent dog is more useful (obedient) than an intelligent cat.
I suppose if you consider obedience useful. :wink:

turbo

Gold Member
Dogs have been breed for hundreds of years to be subservient to human beings.
Surely you meant a hundred thousand years?.... Cats are real new-comers on the scene and entered during the cat-craze in Egypt. Before cats, Egyptian granaries were guarded by ferrets - great ratters.

BobG

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Some cats are quite strong, especially bob cats!
Yes, some cats are better than others.

Jed: That's one big cat, there, Ellie Mae.

Ellie Mae: Aw, shucks, he's just a baby. The man at the zoo says he'll be nearly 400 lbs when he grows up, coz he's a lion!

Granny: Darn right, he's a lyin! Not even a bobcat gets that big!

BobG

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
More proof that dogs are better pets than cats:

[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqbVbPvlDoM

Last edited by a moderator:
Only you can decide. What do you fancy more ? What does your heart tell you , of which pet would you like *to care* for ?

And another thing. I dont try to be judgmental here, really, but if you take a pet to serve you as a stress reliever, just dont. They are beings which need love and care, for they give a lot of love back. Owning a pet it's a responsibility shouldn't be taken lightly, and surely, should not be done for self-gratification like 'stress relieving'. FOr that you go to gym or to a fight club and "relieve" :P

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Of course, a cat won't hump your leg, remove the livingroom carpet, or eat your shoes, garden hoses, cell phones, computers, or thanksgiving dinner. The truth of the matter is that dogs can be incredibly destructive. This is especially true of puppies. And there is nothing that one can do for a time - until the dog is old enough to train - but grin and bear it. And even then, good training takes a lot of time and is not always effective. I have known people who spent many hours training their dogs and getting trained themselves. with very few results.

A long time ago, before Tsu and I met, my new girlfriend joined my dog, Licker, and I, for our daily walk on the beach. Licker promptly peed on her.

Of course, a cat won't hump your leg, remove the livingroom carpet, or eat your shoes, garden hoses, cell phones, computers, or thanksgiving dinner. The truth of the matter is that dogs can be incredibly destructive.

A long time ago, before Tsu and I met, my new girlfriend joined my dog, Licker, and I, for our daily walk on the beach. Licker promptly peed on her.

He claimed his territory before you could!

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
He claimed his territory before you could!
I already had! :devil: The little traitor!

One day that same dog and I were playing hard and I get the better of him. It was just rough play but I could tell that he had gotten mad. When I stopped to reassure him that it was just play, he lunged and bit me in the family jewels! He only did THAT once.

Last edited:
I already had! :devil: The little traitor!

One day that same dog and I were playing hard and I get the better of him. It was just rough play but I could tell that he had gotten mad. When I stopped to reassure him that it was just play, he lunged and bit me in the family jewels! He only did THAT once.

That made me cringe! I am proud to say I have never had that happen to me!

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The two worst things that we ever had happen:

A neighbor's dog once got in with our dogs by accident. Our largest dog was about 90 pounds. The neighbors dog was about ten pounds. Our dog obviously thought it was a rodent and immediately killed it. I got to walk the little neighbor girl home with her dead dog in hand.

The other worst experience was when our dog killed two of the neighbor's baby lambs. About the only thing that could compete for Tsu's affections for our dog, Dr. Who, were baby lambs. She was heartbroken. Dr. Who was a very loving and playful dog, but baby lambs bounce. It was just too much for him to resist.

Dr. Who is my avatar.

Last edited:
Well did you at least have veal afterward?

Right before I was born, there was a cat that would keep jumping into our houses window well and my dad would always have to grab it out and shoo it away, well one day the cat was just next to the window well and my dad comes around the corner of the house with the dog and he yells "get!" which was the command for the dog to retrieve. While all of this was happening my cousins pull up, who were about 7 and 5 at the time and start walking towards my dad. Well needless to say the dog got to the cat and made quick work of it, scarring my cousins for life.

DaveC426913

Gold Member
...scarring my cousins for life.
What a terrible and funny story. :biggrin:

Tell me, which exactly are they scarred with more? The dead cat, or your cat-murdering father?

What a terrible and funny story. :biggrin:

Tell me, which exactly are they scarred with more? The dead cat, or your cat-murdering father?
They don't like to talk about it. . .

cats are cuter imho, and a much more subtly elegant creature to boot!

Penumbra

Of course, a cat won't hump your leg, remove the livingroom carpet, or eat your shoes, garden hoses, cell phones, computers, or thanksgiving dinner. The truth of the matter is that dogs can be incredibly destructive. This is especially true of puppies. And there is nothing that one can do for a time - until the dog is old enough to train - but grin and bear it. And even then, good training takes a lot of time and is not always effective. I have known people who spent many hours training their dogs and getting trained themselves. with very few results.

Would you mind telling this to my cat? My cat tears up the carpet, eats the household plants (both fake and real), chews through wires, knocks cereal boxes off of the refrigerator and rips them open, chews shoes, knocks magnets off the refrigerator and hides them, and has even eaten my wallet. He is very loving whenever I'm around, but when I am gone or asleep, madness ensues. It is not fun to come home and find that your television is no longer working because your cat ate completely through some cords.

My dog, on the other hand, has never chewed on anything in her entire life. The cat is the one who will even take her toys and rip them up. My dog is a sweetie and my cat is a menace, but I suppose I will allow him to live and continue to try and cat-proof my house, which is extremely difficult, given that cats can get anywhere that is not behind a closed door (not even cabinets are good enough sometimes).