Can Cauchy's Integral Formula be Used for Non-Analytic Functions?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Cauchy's theorem to deform paths around analytic functions in order to compute integrals. It is clarified that this theorem can only be applied to analytic functions and not to 1/z, which is not analytic at the origin. However, the residue theorem allows for the deformation of paths around non-analytic points as long as the path does not pass through the point. The conversation also includes a sketch to visually explain this concept.
dyn
Hi.
I am working my way through some complex analysis notes(from a physics course). I have just covered Cauchy's theorem which basically states that the integral over a closed contour of an analytic function is zero. this is then used to show that contours of analytic functions can be deformed and the integrals still give the same answer.

My problem begins when Cauchy's integral formula is introduced and it is used to compute an integral of 1/z around a unit circle. The notes then state that an arbitrary curve can be deformed to a circle using Cauchy's theorem but this theorem is only valid for analytic functions and 1/z is not analytic at the origin. So how can arbitrary curves be deformed ?
Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If the curve does not wind around z=0, then Cauchy's Theorem says that it can be shrunk down to nothing and the integral is 0. If it does wind around z=0 (circling around and then circling back does not count), then Cauchy's Theorem says that it can be shrunk down to a tiny circle around z=0 which winds around it the same number of times. That does NOT give an integral of zero. It is not hard to determine the integral of that tiny circle and the result is called the "residue" at z=0. (If it winds around once in the counter-clockwise direction, the integral is ##2\pi i## (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cauchy%27s_integral_theorem#Discussion).This is a very important part of complex analysis, called the Residue Theorem (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Residue_theorem).

Last edited:
I havn't got to the Residue theorem yet but deforming contours around a function that is not analytic at a point inside the contour using only Cauchy's theorem doesn't seem right. It seems to be using ideas from further on in the course possibly

No, it doesn't rely on anything more advanced. The deformation of the path is ok as long as it is not moved through the z=0 point. In general, as long as the path is moved smoothly through a region where the function is analytic, the integral does not change. That is why you can shrink the path down to only a tiny circle around z=0. The function is analytic everywhere else. But you can not move the path through the z=0 point at all.

Likes mathwonk
Thanks for your reply.
FactChecker said:
In general, as long as the path is moved smoothly through a region where the function is analytic, the integral does not change. .
But 1/z is not analytic at the origin

But you don't change the path at the origin. You change it in a region where the function is analytic.

I made a bad paint sketch. The star is the singularity at z=0. Imagine you want to evaluate the integral around the red path. You can express it as sum of the integral around the black circle (which you know) and the green path. The green path is an integral of a function which is analytic everywhere on the closed path and inside: Its integral is zero. Therefore the red and the black paths have the same integral.

integral.png

Attachments

• integral.png
    integral.png
    4.4 KB · Views: 566
Likes dyn, mathwonk and FactChecker
Thank you. Your sketch did the job ! I can totally see it now. Thanks

1. What is Cauchy's integral formula?

Cauchy's integral formula is a mathematical theorem that relates the values of a complex function inside a closed contour to the values of the function on the boundary of the contour. It can be used to evaluate complex line integrals and is a fundamental tool in complex analysis.

2. Who discovered Cauchy's integral formula?

Cauchy's integral formula was discovered by French mathematician Augustin-Louis Cauchy in the early 19th century. He is also known for his contributions to several other branches of mathematics, including real analysis and number theory.

3. What is the significance of Cauchy's integral formula?

Cauchy's integral formula has many important applications in complex analysis, including calculating residues and finding the values of complex functions that are not defined at certain points within a contour. It is also a key tool in solving differential equations and determining the behavior of complex functions.

4. Is Cauchy's integral formula only applicable to complex functions?

Yes, Cauchy's integral formula is designed specifically for complex functions, which are functions that map a complex number to another complex number. It cannot be used for real-valued functions or functions with multiple variables.

5. Can Cauchy's integral formula be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, Cauchy's integral formula can be extended to higher dimensions through the use of multivariable calculus and complex analysis. This extension is known as Cauchy's integral theorem and is used to evaluate integrals over higher-dimensional surfaces and volumes.