Proving the Cauchy-Schwarz Inequality: A Step-by-Step Guide

• Thread starter VertexOperator
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, the conversation is about proving the inequality \sum_{k=1}^{n}x_{k}^{2}\geq \frac{1}{n}\left ( \sum_{k=1}^{n}x_{k} \right )^{2} using different methods. The conversation mentions using special cases, induction, and the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality. The experts suggest using the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality and explain how to use it in this particular case. The conversation also discusses the use of a constant sequence and how to apply it in the proof.
VertexOperator

Homework Statement

Prove that:

Homework Equations

[tex]\sum_{k=1}^{n}x_{k}^{2}\geq \frac{1}{n}\left ( \sum_{k=1}^{n}x_{k} \right )^{2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure what to do to be honest. But it looks like the Cauchy–Schwarz inequality to me.

Physics news on Phys.org

Oh come on. I'm sure there are things you can try. For example, solve the case n=2. Or try induction. Or something.

micromass said:
Oh come on. I'm sure there are things you can try. For example, solve the case n=2. Or try induction. Or something.

Sigma is intimidating :(
But I will try doing it.

VertexOperator said:
Sigma is intimidating :(
But I will try doing it.

Yes, I agree that it is intimidating. That is why I usually do some special cases first like n=2 and n=3 to get a feeling for the proof!

I got [tex]2x_{1}^{2}+2x_{2}^{2}\geq x_{1}^{2}+2x_{1}x_{2}+x_{2}^{2}[/tex]

VertexOperator said:
I got [tex]2x_{1}^{2}+2x_{2}^{2}\geq x_{1}^{2}+2x_{1}x_{2}+x_{2}^{2}[/tex]

Do you see why this is true?

micromass said:
Do you see why this is true?

Is it because [tex]\left ( x_{1}^{2}+x_{2}^{2} \right )\geq 2x_{1}x_{2}[/tex]
But why is this true?
PS: Is it because [tex]\left ( x_{1}-x_{2} \right )^{2}\geq 0 \therefore \left ( x_{1}^{2}+x_{2}^{2} \right )\geq 2x_{1}x_{2}[/tex]

Do I just do normal induction from here?

After thinking a little bit about it, you won't need induction at all.

Basically, you need to prove that

[tex]\sum_{k=1}^n x_k \leq \sqrt{n}\sqrt{\sum_{k=1}^n x_k^2}[/tex]

You were completely right that this resembled Cauchy-Schwarz. So, try to apply Cauchy-Schwarz somewhere.

Of course, for that inequality, you need two sequences. The sequence [itex](x_1,...,x_n)[/itex] is one of them, what is the other?

micromass said:
After thinking a little bit about it, you won't need induction at all.

Basically, you need to prove that

You were completely right that this resembled Cauchy-Schwarz. So, try to apply Cauchy-Schwarz somewhere.

Of course, for that inequality, you need two sequences. The sequence [itex](x_1,...,x_n)[/itex] is one of them, what is the other?

Is it [tex]x_{1}^{2},...,x_{n}^{2}[/tex] ?

And thank you a lot for the help. I didn't think about squarerooting both sides :( I really need to learn to recognized this stuff.

No, it's not that.

Think of a very easy (constant) sequence.

micromass said:
No, it's not that.

Think of a very easy (constant) sequence.

Although this question can be done using the CS Inequality, it can be done this way too:
[tex]a^2+b^2 \geq 2ab [/tex]

[We need to sub into a and b, all the combinations of 2 numbers from the set [tex]\ \ x_1, \ x_2, \ x_2 \ \dots, \ x_n [/tex]

[tex]x_1^2+x_1^2 \geq 2x_1 x_2 [/tex]

[tex]x_1^2+x_3^2 \geq 2x_1x_3 [/tex]

[tex]x_1^2+x_n^2 \geq 2x_1x_n [/tex]

[tex]x_2^2+x_3^2 \geq 2x_2 x_3 [/tex]

And so on, then we add these inequalities side by side.

[tex](n-1)(x_1^2+x_2^2 \dots + x_n^2) \geq 2(x_1x_2+x_1x_3+ \dots) [/tex]

[tex]n(x_1^2+x_2^2+\dots+x_n^2) \geq x_1^2+x_2^2+\dots + x_n^2 + 2(x_1x_2+\dots [/tex]

The RHS is the expanded form of:

[tex]n\sum_{k=1}^{n} x_k^2 \geq \left(\sum_{k=1}^{n}x_k \right)^2 [/tex]

[tex]\sum_{k=1}^{n} x_k^2 \geq \frac{1}{n}\left(\sum_{k=1}^{n}x_k \right)^2 [/tex]

Could you please show me how you would do it using the CS inequality?

You need to show that[tex]\sum_{k=1}^n x_k \leq \sqrt{n}\sqrt{\sum_{k=1}^n x_k^2}[/tex]

The CS inequality gives something like

[tex]\sum_{k=1}^n x_ky_k \leq ...[/tex]

If I use the same [itex]x_k[/itex] in both inequalities above, then what does the corresponding [itex]y_k[/itex] need to be?

micromass said:
You need to show that

The CS inequality gives something like

[tex]\sum_{k=1}^n x_ky_k \leq ...[/tex]

If I use the same [itex]x_k[/itex] in both inequalities above, then what does the corresponding [itex]y_k[/itex] need to be?

Ok, thank you. I will try to do it now.

1. What is the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality?

The Cauchy-Schwarz inequality is a mathematical concept that states the relationship between the dot product of two vectors and their magnitudes. It states that the absolute value of the dot product of two vectors is less than or equal to the product of their magnitudes.

2. How is the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality used in mathematics?

The Cauchy-Schwarz inequality is used in a variety of mathematical fields, including linear algebra, geometry, and calculus. It is a fundamental tool in proving various theorems and is also used in optimization problems and in the study of inner product spaces.

3. What are the applications of the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality?

The Cauchy-Schwarz inequality has many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is used in the study of inequalities, optimization problems, and convex functions. Additionally, it has applications in signal processing, statistics, and probability theory.

4. How is the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality related to the triangle inequality?

The Cauchy-Schwarz inequality is closely related to the triangle inequality, which states that the sum of the lengths of any two sides of a triangle is greater than or equal to the length of the third side. This is because the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality is a special case of the triangle inequality when applied to vectors.

5. Is the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality always true?

Yes, the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality is always true. It is considered to be one of the most important and useful inequalities in mathematics due to its wide range of applications and its ability to hold true in any vector space.