Cause of browning and blacking effect on aluminium sheeting?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Hugh O'Brien
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Aluminium Cause
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Hugh O'Brien
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hi everyone,

Not sure if this should be here or in the chemistry section. It's a question about chemical reactions in aluminium.

I work for a construction company and we have a number of aluminium sheets used for cladding and roofing. We've noticed that some of these have a blacking and browning effect on them. The sheets are on the outside of a building and the building itself is situated in a city centre.

I read on this site (and somehow managed to lose the page) a question about the possibility of mercury causing such an effect, but that question hadn't been answered (and was posted in 2004). We were wondering if this could be a factor?

Also, there is a work site near by and another thought was that it could be cementitious or limestone dust having an effect on the sheeting.

Would anyone know what could cause such effects on alluminium? I'll try and get some photographs so that you can see what I mean. If you need any more information on it, then ask away and I'll try to give as much as I can.

Thanks. :)
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
</code>The blackening and browning of aluminum sheets can be caused by a variety of factors. The most likely cause would be corrosion from the presence of certain gases and chemicals in the air. The presence of mercury or cementitious or limestone dust near the building could also be contributing to the corrosion. Additionally, poor quality paint or sealant on the aluminum surface can lead to corrosion, as well as improper application of the paint or sealant. To determine the exact cause of the blackening and browning, it is best to consult with a professional who can inspect the sheets and take samples for further analysis. In addition to the samples, photographs of the affected areas can also help in determining the cause. Once the cause is identified, appropriate steps can be taken to prevent further corrosion.