1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Cavity in a dielectric material

1. Jun 30, 2017 #1
    Hello friends.

If i have a dieletric material ( w/ a hole) and apply an uniform eletric field on it, the eletric field in the hole will stay null ?

Peace.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2017 #2

Paul Colby

Gold Member

No, why would one think so? The normal component of ##D=\epsilon(r)E## and the tangent component of ##E## are continuous across dielectric (actually all) material boundaries.

4. Jun 30, 2017 #3
    But if i close a surface within the hole, there woud not be any charge inside, so ∫ D ⋅ dS = 0 and D = 0.

5. Jun 30, 2017 #4

Paul Colby

Gold Member

Not if as much ##D## flux exits as enters the volume as leaves which is actually the case. My suggestion is work a 1-D problem that's simple to solve completely. Try a 3 layer parallel plate capacitor with a void layer inside where you ignore fringing fields. Continuity of normal ##D## along with the total voltage drop yields an answer. You will find an ##E\ne0## in the air gap.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted