Celebrate Guy Fawkes Night: US & UK

• Thread starter Anttech
  • Start date
In summary, Guy Fawkes Night is an annual celebration in the UK on November 5th, commemorating a failed Catholic uprising against the Protestant government 400 years ago. It is marked with fireworks and bonfires, and has become a tradition to celebrate the failure of the plot. While it may have been celebrated in other countries, such as Australia, it is not typically celebrated in the US.
Anttech
Do any americans here celibrate guy fawkes night:

Remember remember the fifth of November
Gunpowder, treason and plot.
I see no reason why gunpowder, treason
Should ever be forgot

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Guy_Fawkes_Night&oldid=27237165

Basically it was a catholic uprising against the mainly protestant government in England 400 years ago.. Every year in the UK on the 5th of november there are huge firework displays and bonfires, to celibrate the fact that the plot wasnt successful

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No, we don't. But several years ago I had some friends from the UK here and we had a giant bon fire, and drank way too much beer. I was hopeing a tradition would start, but it just didn't seem to catch on here.
Hope all my friends in the UK enjoy the night!

Anttech said:
Do any americans here celibrate guy fawkes night:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Guy_Fawkes_Night&oldid=27237165

Basically it was a catholic uprising against the mainly protestant government in England 400 years ago.. Every year in the UK on the 5th of november there are huge firework displays and bonfires, to celibrate the fact that the plot wasnt successful

I should add that this isn't because of some anti-catholic thing in British society but mainly it's just a good excuse to let off explosives :biggrin:

Anttech said:
Do any americans here celibrate guy fawkes night: ..."to celibrate the fact that the plot wasnt successful..."
It could be we once did, but it would probably be kind of hypocritical now, in light of our own later revolt against the British government.

Related to Celebrate Guy Fawkes Night: US & UK

1. What is Guy Fawkes Night?

Guy Fawkes Night, also known as Bonfire Night, is an annual commemoration observed on November 5th in the UK and some parts of the US. It marks the failed Gunpowder Plot of 1605, where a group of conspirators, including Guy Fawkes, attempted to blow up the Houses of Parliament in London.

2. How is Guy Fawkes Night celebrated?

In the UK, Guy Fawkes Night is typically celebrated with bonfires, fireworks displays, and the burning of effigies of Guy Fawkes. In the US, it is often observed with similar traditions, but may also include parades and other community events.

3. Why is Guy Fawkes associated with this holiday?

Guy Fawkes is associated with this holiday because he was one of the main conspirators in the Gunpowder Plot. He was caught guarding the explosives that were supposed to be used to blow up the Houses of Parliament, and was subsequently arrested and executed.

4. Are there any traditional foods associated with Guy Fawkes Night?

Yes, there are some traditional foods associated with Guy Fawkes Night, such as toffee apples, bonfire toffee, and parkin (a type of gingerbread cake). These foods are often enjoyed at bonfire gatherings and other celebrations.

5. Is Guy Fawkes Night a public holiday?

No, Guy Fawkes Night is not a public holiday in the UK or the US. It is considered more of a commemorative event or festival, and most businesses and schools remain open on this day.