1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Center mass/angular velocity vector

1. Sep 3, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

baton like figure - weight at (0,A) that has a mass M, second weight at origin (0,0) with weight 2M. These are the end points of the baton and that is it for this baton weight/location. The 2M weight has a velocity V towards the positive x axis. The goal is to locate the M mass with respect to time T.

2. Relevant equations
    not sure....

3. The attempt at a solution
    not sure...i think it spins in one spot... the top mass might have a velocity twice as fast...but not sure about this either...since no force then the center of mass located at (0,a/3) will stay there..but thats all i have...

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi iknowu99! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Can you give us the full question?

We need to know how this happened … for example, was there a sudden force along the x-axis hitting the 2M? :confused:

4. Sep 4, 2008 #3
    that's what i thought at first but there is no force applied. the question is: provide the X,Y at time T for the mass M.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?