Center of gravity calculate force on tail

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the force on the tail wheel and each main wheel of an aircraft based on its fore and aft distance, unloaded weight, and centre of gravity. The calculated values are 8.45 kN for the tail wheel and 1.55 kN for each main wheel. The accuracy of these calculations is questioned and the person is asked to share their working process for further clarification.
Richardos

Homework Statement

The fore and aft distance between the two main wheels and the single tail wheel of an aircraft is 8m. The unloaded weight of the aircraft is 20kN and its centre of gravity is 0.5m behind the main wheels. Calculate the force on the tail wheel and on each main wheel.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i get
Tail Wheel = 8.45 kN Main Wheel = 1.55 kN

I just wanted to check i had it correct becaues i am not sure.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Richardos! Welcome to PF! :wink:
Richardos said:
The fore and aft distance between the two main wheels and the single tail wheel of an aircraft is 8m. The unloaded weight of the aircraft is 20kN and its centre of gravity is 0.5m behind the main wheels. Calculate the force on the tail wheel and on each main wheel.

i get
Tail Wheel = 8.45 kN Main Wheel = 1.55 kN

How does it not add to 20? And how is the tail wheel taking so much weight? :confused:

Show us what you've tried, and then we'll know how to help. :smile:

1. What is the center of gravity and why is it important?

The center of gravity is the point at which the weight of an object can be considered to be concentrated. It is important because it determines how an object will balance and can affect its stability and motion.

2. How do you calculate the center of gravity?

To calculate the center of gravity, you need to determine the weight and location of each individual component of the object. Then, you can use the formula: (sum of weight x distance) / total weight = center of gravity.

3. Why is it necessary to calculate the force on the tail based on the center of gravity?

The force on the tail is important because it determines the stability and control of an object. The center of gravity is used to calculate this force because it is the point where the weight of the object is concentrated and can help determine how the object will behave.

4. What factors can affect the center of gravity?

The center of gravity can be affected by the shape, size, and weight distribution of an object. Adding or removing weight from different areas can also shift the center of gravity.

5. How can the center of gravity be adjusted?

The center of gravity can be adjusted by changing the weight distribution of an object, such as by adding or removing weight from different areas. Additionally, the size and shape of an object can also be altered to change its center of gravity.